zig zag cracks under windows

Originally Posted By: jmichalski
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Brick town house, end unit, street slopes downhill to the left.

The mortar under each of the windows on the left side of the front of the house has been newly repointed. As you can see, they form a zig zag crack under each window. Many other joints were alos repointed, but not in such a way that it seemed to be a potential crack line like it is here.

The interior was recently redone, so no cracks are present in the new drywall, and all windows operate properly. The basement below the crack lines has a 4x4 post that is splitting vertically almost directly in line with the windows. It supports a 3x12 joist that is splitting slightly horizontally, but both seemed solid.

Any thoughts on the potential problems here? The cracks are not excessively large, have been patched, and are not unusual for the homes in the area, so I am tempted to note it but not call for an SE evaluation.

I am interested in your takes here...![](upload://1jFznqVzeK3BnpTJEzLKwuvaoxE.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: jpope

I wouldn’t think twice about recommending an SE in this case. That doesn’t look good at all.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: tdove

Look,s bad recommend a SE. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

reinforcing steel).

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Thanks for the thoughts!

The thing that sort of threw me and prompted me to ask for a second (and third,etc) opinion is that the cracks run from top left to bottom right. As I mentioned, this house sits on a street that slopes fairly significantly from top right to bottom left (as you look at the window).

Wouldn't settling or shifting in the house be more likely to occur towards the direction of the slope, producing a crack that runs towards that point (in other words, the sagging or settling would be at the bottom left, and the cracks would run towards that point instead of the bottom right?)

Or is there no rhyme or reason for crack direction under windows on the 2nd and 3rd floor?

Originally Posted By: mkober

Actually, no, Joseph,

If the left side of the structure, as you're facing it, is settling more than the right side, the cracks would typically run from upper left to lower right (as shown in the pix) underneath the windows. Think of it like this: cracks normally associated with excessive tensile stresses will usually be oriented perpendicular to the forces causing the over-stress situation. The cracks are providing "relief" for the member, allowing it to move, or stretch, from upper right to lower left. This is an absolute over-simplification of what really happens, so hopefully all of the big engineering guns who frequent this post won't jump all over me.

--
Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

That makes sense. Thanks.

I did recommend the SE, by the way. After reading about that guy and his Christmas law suit, I figured it best to state the observations and recommend a more specialized and informed opinion of the cause.

Thanks again, everyone.