Zinsco Combination Box

Originally Posted By: RD Chandler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am afflicted with one of these boxes on my home. I understand that it needs to be REPLACED, and am in process of doing so. My question is:

Is there a set of lugs on the customer side of the meter socket that I could use to connect to a Square D type box, so I can do away with the breakers, but not have to disturb the meter base and weather head, or would it be in my best intrest to plan on changing both? icon_confused.gif

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

email JoeTedesco@JoeTedesco.com. Joe Tedesco is the owner operator of Tedesco Electrical Code Consultants, Inc. He offers Training - Consulting - Inspections - & Publications. He may be able to refer your question to the proper people or answer your questions directly. Whether or not you use his services is up to you. Another suggestion would be to use the Google Search with your question. Whichever way you so chose it does sound like you need the services of an electrical contractor in your area.

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

RD Chandler wrote:
I am afflicted with one of these boxes on my home. I understand that it needs to be REPLACED, and am in process of doing so. My question is:
Is there a set of lugs on the customer side of the meter socket that I could use to connect to a Square D type box, so I can do away with the breakers, but not have to disturb the meter base and weather head, or would it be in my best intrest to plan on changing both? ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

May I respectively suggest that you hire the service of a "qualified person" such as a Licensed Electrical Contractor to review and inspect the equipment and suggest your options.

I hope that all will turn out well for you and wish you electrical safety!

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Both.

Depending on your qualifications, you may need to hire a qualified and licensed electrician, or you may be one (although I doubt it because of the question).

Your electrician would need to coordinate the change out with the power company so they can remove whatever they need to remove (overhead service drop, disconnect underground service laterals, etc.).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: joetedesco

jtedesco wrote:
RD Chandler wrote:
Is there a set of lugs on the customer side of the meter socket that I could use to connect to a Square D type box, so I can do away with the breakers, but not have to disturb the meter base and weather head, or would it be in my best interest to plan on changing both? ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

May I respectively suggest that you hire the service of a "qualified person" such as a Licensed Electrical Contractor to review and inspect the equipment and suggest your options.

I hope that all will turn out well for you and wish you electrical safety!

Was this good advice?

--
Joe Tedesco, Massachusetts
Home Inspector Provider
www.joetedesco.org
necmeister@gmail.com

www.nachi.org/tedesco.htm
www.nachi.org/tedesco2.htm
www.nachi.org/illinoislicense.htm
www.nachi.org/jtarticles.htm

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

Joe Tedesco

Electrical Trainer, State of Massachusetts Electrical Code

User: jtedesco
NACHI Member: Yes

joetedesco

NACHI Member: No
Is this in error?

I'm soooooooooo confused. ![aiwebs_014.gif](upload://9EMgoh1wke3JUYRfZP3x3cMyzDA.gif)