I am not trying to start an arguement here but I have a valid concern over the way I have been connecting dryers . If it is not safe I want to fix it. Each dryer is connected with one to three feet of aluminum flex to the hard pipe in the wall. It is the same stuff you describe with the slinky inside. Now I went out to the shed where there is a plastic bag containing “deflect-o” brand 4" flexible aluminum “air duct”. It does state on the bag “Not recomended for dryer venting”. It is 25 feet long. This is what I use for venting bathroon fans with 4" exhaust fittings.

Then there are some boxes from Ace Hardware that say “Flexible aluminum dryer vent duct” The stuff inside looks the same as the kind in the bag. The one in the box is made in the US, the bag comes from Canada. The box says "UL listed, but it doesn’t say for what it is listed. It is only five feet long. This is what I use for dryer venting transitions. Again, it it called “Dryer vent duct” on the box.

The corregated pipe you refer to, if it is what I am picturing, does not have a smooth interior surface. It is made up of aluminum in a spiral shape with grooves and ridges on the inside. It comes compressed and you stretch it out. The piece I have has no label.

So I guess the part I don’t understand is what I should actually be using for the transition. Is there a product that is flexible AND has a smooth interior surface?

Excuse me if I sound ignorant, I am just trying to learn. I am the type of person that insists on doing a job 100% correct.

One simple question generates a fountain of information. Where else except on the NACHI message board.

How did you make that determination?

That panel isn’t rated as service equipment, there is no service disconnect. . .

Oh, and this :wink:

10-4. I missed the condo statement.

Still don’t know how you determined the rating from the photos (I could not read any text on the labels).

I am quite familiar with Zinsco panel boards (if you weren’t already aware of that). I see this type often and it is not listed for outdoor use, nor is it listed for use as service equipment. I couldn’t actually read the label.

The use of plastic and “aluminum” flex ducting is common but not recommended by the MFG of the appliances. The best source of information on this is right in the manual the dryer came with.
I have seen a new concept with regards to flex ducting and dryers . The “claim” is these new designs are fire resistant and can be used for dryers.
Over 15,000 dryers fires a year (from the State farm Insurance) website.

Good points, Pat.

In our area, we have a two day, 12 hour course, state approved CE for home inspectors and given by the local gas company (People’s Energy). It is a great course and includes a lab (6 hours playing with and examining every type of gas fired appliance!).

THEY say that these types of dryer vent pipes are not approved for use. Can you say ‘lint fire’?

Good enough for me.

Do we, as Home Inspectors, with the lives and safety of our clients in our hands, want to put in writing (even bo omission!) that the plastic of foil type vent pipes are proper?

Not me.

Hope this helps;

I sure don"t!!

Stock footage from my report…


Dryer exhaust ducts shall be independent of all other systems, shall convey the moisture to the outdoors, shall terminate on the outside of the building in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions and shall be equipped with a back-draft damper.
Exhaust ducts shall be constructed of rigid metal ducts, having smooth interior surfaces with joints running in the direction of air flow. Screens shall not be installed at the duct termination. Exhaust ducts shall not be connected with sheet-metal screws or any means which extend into the duct. (Screens and screws can trap lint.)

**Exhaust duct terminations shall be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer’s instructions. **



…then I tell 'em what I found.


No problem with multiple grounds under one terminal or grounding and grounded conductors under same terminal? Where’s the bonding device?


You are getting this confused again…their is a difference between the Grounded and Grounding Conductors…the Grounded Conductor ( neutral ) is not supposed to share a termination with any other conductor…

bus bar, I meant bus bar.

…just keepin an eye on ya fella…oh and since I can’t use " LOL" anymore for fear of offending anyone…I will just say I was teasing ya fella…


What is LOL anyway, I thought it was related to a smile/chuckle?..no?

Maybe its like sticking the middle finger up for all I know?

What it is Paul…](*,)

well I have always used it in my posts to convey I was laughing and enjoying the banter…but it appears my use of it distracts from the learning content of my posts…so in order to not offend anyone I should not use it…

LOL = Laughing Out Loud

What are you getting harassing phone calls over a lol or something?

For crying out loud if that doesn’t take the cake…](*,)

Someone told me they don’t like the way I write, I’d make it much worse intentionally…:profile:

well lets just say I dont like to make waves…

My mom saiys it means 'lots of love".

Speaking of dryer vents… I have always wondered “why on Earth” code officials allow for “vertical dryer” vents…

All it takes is for someone who doesn’t like to change out their lint trap, and fires can easily be started… I have actually inspected some homes that have had problems and clogging with vertical vents.

Doesn’t make sense…

And since the “original” topic was ZINSCO… Any panel I come across that says ZINSCO or FEDERAL PACIFIC, I write them up!!! Let the Electricians sort it out…

I am not “risking” a house fire over these… maybe they should be put to the test on the show, mythbusters.