4 point ?

I hate to admit it but I go with situations - If the property is inhabited by an old couple been there 50 years - or if the house is occupied with tenants with 10 to 15 year olds I might see things differently!

Your logic is flawed.

Who is to say a 15 year old or 60 year old can’t wander onto the property?

Situations have nothing to do with these or any other inspections. The house is the house.
Just my opinion.

It is either safe or not safe.

Darn ! Eric !
Is this the type of inspectors that is being churned out ?
I can’t believe he said that… Nope!
Eric is correct.
I must have read his post incorrectly.
A snapshot in time .

So, being the 100% accurate inspectors - When performing 4-Point inspections you then call out every piece of exposed romex that exists at every disposal, water heater, etc- regardless of the situation. - Got open ground on three prong outlets? Make them change them to get insurance, Got a double tapped breaker for the door-bell? Too bad - no insurance for you!

We have to walk the line with 4pt reports. If you can insure that it gets repaired, why put it on the 4pt?

I may be a bit more militant when kids are present…

Why?
To quote the late George Carlin, “He isn’t going to rip children is he…yes he is”!

The persons present, or not present, have nothing to do with the inspection performed. Children are a convenient crutch when someone is trying to drill home a point and use emotion to do it, usually, when they have no facts to back up what they are saying.

What actually happens, is if there is something major, I inform the client it needs to be corrected prior to me issuing a four-point report.
I am not in the habit of sending out reports that are going to cause issues.
I have two versions with the software I use. One is everything wrong in each of the four sections in the home inspection report, goes onto those sections in the four-point. Some clients like to use that as leverage. The other four-point is clean. It has updates listed and nothing wrong. If there are things wrong, they don’t get the second version.

So Eric, you have a 4-Point inspection scheduled for an 80 year old widow that has lived in the same house since her husband and her came home from the Korean war and built their dream home in 1955. They have performed updates over the years - New service and panel boxes, new wiring for remodeled kitchen and bathrooms, etc. But there are several outlets in the bedrooms that have open ground (they have installed 3 prong outlets for convenience) and there is some exposed romex at the water heater -which is located in an unheated utility room at the back of the carport.

How do you address these deficiencies? And do you charge the client to go back to re-inspect once the repairs are made?

re re read my previous post.

I’m on the same page. Basically I issue a red tag, the agent can’t submit a report with hazards listed anyway. That report is just a list of things that need correction, then I do a reinspection (not that I want to do reinspections). For minor stuff, I usually carry a supply of panel screws and CB blanks just to speed things up.

I write what I see. and charge to reinspect.

Yes, that is the “type” of inspectors being churned out now.
I take several calls from other inspectors and recently, I got a call from a recent graduate of one of the schools. He told me what they preached. Have a bullet-proof pia, carry e & o insurance, defer everything to a tradesman, don’t give estimates, and on and on. At some point, I asked him,“What do you do”? With all the things you don’t do, why would I hire you in the first place?

Meanwhile, back to the four-point.
I rarely do stand alone 4-points and when I do, I make sure the client has all the documentation I am going to need before I even bother with it. Then, if there are minor issues, I tell them to correct them and move on.

To answer your questions, as I said, I ask for documentation. No permits for the kitchen and bathroom remodels, guess what? Eric will be staying home or going fishing.The rest of the electrical portion of your question is irrelevant.

If there were permits pulled and I see what you described, I would tell them to correct the issues either with 2-prong receptacles or G.F.I. receptacles, whichever you prefer. It still doesn’t change the fact that the receptacles are ungrounded. Same goes for the water heater. Fix it for a grand total of $150.00.

This is what it says on the Citizens form I use:

Is an ungrounded receptacle a deficiency or hazard?

I do not check for them in a 4 point EVER. Hell in a full written home inspection SOP says test representative amount… I personally check all but that for a written report or even my Home Inspection Alternatives. Not on 4 points though.

We do not issue red tags, or fail four points. We report, the insurance companies decide. I only tell them what MAY cause an issue. It is not a home inspection

If the romex is secured at the water heater or disposal, it is not a hazard. BTW. I don’t look at the disposal because appliances are not part of a 4 point. As far as receptacles, I check the ones by the kitchen sink and in the bathroom only for GFCIs. (I have a comment in my 4 point that an older home is not expected to meet current codes and that I inspect to the requirements at the time the home was constructed. If a home was built in 1950 and does not have GFCIs, it was not a defect. In that case I stress to the home owner how important they are but do not list it as a safety problem.)

The only time I check any other receptacles is if someone repaired aluminum wire. Then I check one or two in each room.

As to a double tap, unless the breaker is designed for multiple conductors, it is wrong.

Good way to look them. That is my opinion on them as well. I personally think the insurance companies should be paying for them.

Your wish is granted. Some companies are doing just that. Sending out a picture taker , not usually a home inspector for a fraction of what you charge they take all required pictures and send them. UPC is one

Yep, I got a call from one last week. They wanted me to take a bunch of pictures for 4-point and wind mit. We never got to a fee…

And if the latest bills are passed, it will only e a matter of time before home inspectors won’t be doing 4-points or wind mits. That will also effect the ability to do home inspections as those who can provide more types of inspections, will get the jobs.