A/C Breaker

Originally Posted By: osmith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all,

I need a little assistance with something I saw today. A clients A/C condenser information plate stated that the max fuse is 30 amps. However; inside the electrical panel a 40 amp breaker was used. On top of that, it was wired with 10 gauge copper wire. I did heard once that some electricians use an over size breaker to compensate for the surge generated by the compressor kicking on. What do you guys think? Is this okay or not?

Thanks,

Oscar

--
Dreams without action stay dreams.

Originally Posted By: Mark Dudley

No, an appliance should never be wired with a breaker larger than the stated size. In this case, a 30 amp. If it’s nusiance tripping, then a time delay breaker should be used, not a larger breaker.

Was there by chance another disconnect outside, and it had a 30 amp in it?

--
http://www.thehomeforums.com/

All I saw was the usual shut off outside, but I did not open it up. Would that make a difference anyway?

Oscar

--

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Was this a replacement AC unit? I have often found that once the original Ac unit is replaced the more modern equipment does not appear to need the same / higher circuit breakers and often I find the original breaker is not replaced at the same time. They will just wire in the new AC condenser unit and leave the original breaker. I have found where a new condenser unit states max. of 25 amp and there is the old original 40 amp still in the panel. I always write it up. Max means Max.

Doug!

That may be it! It is definitely not the original unit and it was installed at least 10-12 years ago. And..... It also could explain why 10 gauge wire is on the breaker that should have been 30 amps.

Thanks - I did write it up by the way.

--