A dirt smell when the windows are opened?

It was basement windows.

I am very experienced and trained in IAQ. I came here to see if anybody had an idea what is the problem, not a lecture on why it cannot not be done.;-):shock:

Client needs to contract with an IH
for further evaluation and testing…
refer and defer
is sometimes the best advice offered…

I wasn’t necessarily talking to YOU. More to the body of new inspectors. I can’t remember specifically why but this is probably why I have your silly *** on ignore.

I already referred to several IH’s. None have any idea what the problem is. All come up with different theories. None of them sound any good.

So much for the stack effect theory then…

What type of ceiling does it have?

David is right. I liken it to being at the bottom of the chimney. You will not smell the fresh air coming from the window unless the proper conditions are outside. What you will smell is the lowest portion of air coming into the foundation or infiltration. This is the wet smell of old soil. You can sometimes track where this is coming from by using some IAQ Equipment.
If you don’t have the equipment no air test you do will prove to be beneficial.

Could be a dead rodent somewhere. I have seen them in parameter drains and sump pits. Probably would not burn throats, however. I have seen human waste and diapers in sump holes/window wells.

don’t jump to conclusions until you can prove it otherwise…

Just textured drywall.

Yeah, you’re right!

Hot air rises, and cold air sinks, but stack effect ventilation reverses in summer…

fhb189-summer-qa01-02_lg.jpg

fhb189-winter-qa01-01_lg.jpg

Update:
The homeowners had me perform air testing for mold, which I told them that their problem was very unlikely to be mold. Tests showed the mold spores level in the air to be good.
Formaldehyde testing only came back at .0040 and .0047 parts per million. So no problem there.
Now, they finally replaced the new dehumidifier and their symptoms have subsided. The sad part is, I told them to remove the dehumidifier first, before I even took any tests.

Some people do not know a good cleaning can help all equipment some times .
Thanks for the update … Roy