? About disclosure

Hi…I’m a new member. I’m not an inspector yet and I’m still in training. My question is that in all the training I’ve done and the books and forums I’ve read, I have never seen any info on the sellers disclosure form. I was wondering if it is available to the inspector and if it is something that would be useful. Hopefully, someone could give me some insight on this. Thanks.

I never ask for it. Wouldn’t use it even if available. I don’t want fresh eyes to be tainted by something that could be old, out dated, or even wrong / incorrect and based on the word of someone that may do or say anything to sell a home. You know, like putting new carpet over rotting floor boards, or painting over mold, or stacking boxes in front of damaged areas.

That makes sense Stephen. Thanks for the reply.
I looked at your web site. Nice job.

Like Stephen, I never ask for it. I have a couple of agents that always send it to me. I may look at it after the inspection but rarely before. If you are using InterNACHI’s inspection agreement, item #1 states the report is only supplementary to the seller’s disclosure.

Mark, I print the disclosure from the Realtors MLS for every inspection. I often find useful information in the disclosure. Sellers will disclose prior termite activity, prior water infiltration, prior roof leaks, some even indicate work that was done without permits. Take water infiltration… I put right in the report “seller disclosed prior water infiltration; I recommend you request historical information regarding…etc”. Termites and other wood destroying insects may not be evident or visible during an inspection but if you know the seller has disclosed prior activity you can include it in your report. If a seller indicates work was done without permit I note that and tell my client I am not a substitute for the local code enforcement official and recommend they have those inspection done. I often find that buyers do not even read the disclosure and when I tell them some tid bit of info in the disclosure they are surprised. I have had buyers tell me during a basement inspection they are going to finish the basement for a family room and they want me to make sure no water will come in…on more than one occasion I have simply said “the seller has disclosed prior water infiltration”…after that it is up to the buyer. The disclosure is not always helpful but I consider it one more source of information that helps my client and also protects me.

Personally I like having the disclosure, or any information about work that was performed. I understand the reasoning for not wanting it. However I think it’s beneficial.
During a recent inspection, the client was concerned about foundation repair that had been completed. During the inspection, the agent presented an engineers statement regarding the repairs. Full listing of what was completed how it was completed, signed, stamped, the whole nine yards.
Along with that, was a list of repairs to the home, including roof replacement. 6 inches of snow prevented access beyond scraping some snow at the eaves. At least with the disclosure, the buyer had some idea of the age of the roof. The disclosure also gives me an idea of what to look for. Were the repairs completed correctly, permits, Harry homeowner or contractor…the list goes on.
Still, it’s a personal decision.

Ditto that, also for any previous inspections that have been performed.

I’ll take any information from any source that I can get my hands on. Often your client focuses on issues the seller already disclosed and wants your take on them.

Ditto that. They are offered on occasion, but are always refused. Some have asked for my opinion on them, and I inform them I will review it after my report is filed, never before.

I actually converse with every one of my clients. I speak with them and discuss any and all concerns with the home they may have, prior to my inspection.

Wanted to thank everybody for the info. Never having posted a thread before I was a little apprehensive. I now have the answer I was looking for. Thanks again! There is an unbelievable amount of information to become a Home Inspector. With (consistent-persistence) one day I’ll be there. Thanks InterNACHI for all the right tools.

Mark…