Additional Bus Bar for Grounding - In Main Panel

Your comment goes to an interesting conversation (IMO) about writing reports. I am working on a presentation for the Pro Inspector Convention this October in NJ and a part of it is this very topic. Our clients rarely understand acronyms like GEC, EGC, OCPD, etc or the spelled-out terms. Is there a line we walk in using technically accurate terminology in our reports while keeping our reports understandable for laymen (is that laypeople, now)?
Around here, I never hear an electrician use the terms “service equipment”, or “over current protection device” or “ungrounded conductor.” So, I rarely use them too. I think we make unnecessary extra work (spend extra time) for ourselves when we are using these terms. We invariably have to explain what they mean to our poor client whose head is already spinning from the fire hose of information about their house that we are dousing them with.
But, when writing a report, correct terminology clarifies what we are seeing if/when our report lands in the hands of an electrician.
I am curious what you guys/gals do. Since, I never hear electricians using code language when talking to non-electricians, I usually use their more common terms, like “main breaker in the panel”, “ground wire”, “hot”, and “neutral” as some examples.

4 Likes

I’m with you Lon on the nomenclature. Can’t expect a client to understand obscure (to them) jargon. Clients want reports that are easy to understand. If an electrician is called they should be able to figure it out. Although I have had to explain rental property smoke alarm requirements to several “electricians.”

1 Like

What Rob said.

I’ll bet that your doctor doesn’t care if you understand what is in his report. He might explain it to you but you can be damn sure that he is clear on what he means. If you are going to report on anything electrical you better get in the habit of understanding and USING the correct terms.

Correct terms are required when you cross that fine line between home inspector and electrical expert. Just sayin.

5 Likes

always such insightful comments.

I am with you. Keep it simple. Also, starting the narrative with a location is very helpful. Example; “The electrical panel located in the kitchen…blah blah”.

1 Like