Advice requested - New Construction

I am not going into all that for it was not purpose of my post. Each inspector will have to make that decision based on their clients expectations and the inspectors level of expertise.

1 Like

You lost me.
How would you be able to verify anything in any phase of construction without approved plans?
Let’s say you go to do a foundation inspection. You see forms, rebars, etc., how can you tell your client that this is good or bad or make any comment about it without plans?

Depends on what you are inspecting for. Plan accuracy or verification? Or per the SOP which states

"a non-invasive, visual examination of the accessible areas
of a residential property (as delineated below), performed for a fee, which is designed to
identify defects within specific systems and components defined by these Standards that
are both observed and deemed material by the inspector. The scope of work may be
modified by the Client and Inspector prior to the inspection process."

This is the difference between a building inspector and home inspector. One is “Yes/No” inspector and the other is “contact qualified contractor” kinda inspector. Unfortunately.

Which type of inspector are you? Are you NACHI Certified?
How would you define a building inspector?
How would you define a home inspector?
What standards of practice do you use?
What is your scope of work on phase construction?

1 Like

I am not going into all that for it was not purpose of my post. Each inspector will have to make that decision based on their clients expectations and the inspectors level of expertise.

Your client appears to be requesting a Pre-drywall inspection.

Your client is depending on your expertise to understand whether the items they sent you photos of are ok, or an issue that needs repair.

If you dont know the difference yourself I recommend you find an inspector who is experienced and knowledgeable with this and give that inspector your inspection as compensation for training you to perform a proper Pre-drywall inspection.

I regularly perform Pre-drywall Inspections, much of what I have learned about these has been from conversations with code inspectors, framers, and general contractors.

Local Codes, construction standards, and manufacturer installation recommendations/requirements are all available for your reading pleasure online.

I’ve never once been asked to leave a construction site on one of my inspections. A little friendly conversation goes a long way.

As has been stated several times you set the clients expectations.

Some inspectors have mentioned doing an examination of the homes construction plans or blueprints.

Plans are a great resource if you have them. I insist on having the plans from the beginning when performing a phased inspection where i will be making several site visits, also called a “Draw” inspection.

Most Pre-drywall inspections are limited to what you can see at that moment in construction, not as un depth as a phased inspection.

Sorry this has gone long…

You can do these inspections, just be humble and do your research.

Take lots of pictures and research everything you dont fully understand.

Good luck.

In response to ( why does a home inspector needs plans to do a pre drywall inspection ? ) because unless you know 100% the building codes or have a GOOD construction background you kay not know what you are looking for and not be able to evaluate properly and that can get you in trouble . MY OPINION .

1 Like

I didn’t say plans were not helpful. But they are not required.

If you get a set of plans then you are moving into a technically exhaustive evaluation. One window 6 inches out of place becomes your problem.

So, it boils down to explaining to your client what you are or not doing for them.

And yes, I agree, you are better off having construction experience. But isn’t that the case with all inspections?

The real risk with pre-drywall in my opinion is that everything is exposed, visible.

If you want to sell your services as technically exhaustive, go for it. You want to sell your services as a code inspection, go for it. Neither are required.

2 Likes

Yes, and you have to become YES/NO inspector to do so. To reduce the risk you need to be good at reading plans and have them available at the time of inspection.
Simple.

1 Like

I agree. Most of my new construction inspections are done without drawings. I inspect the home’s components as installed. It’s the builders responsibility to ensure the home is being built according to the drawings. I make this limitation very clear prior to inspection.

2 Likes

In this area builders are loath to show plans to home inspectors. Most say the plans are their IP and only show them to county inspectors as legally required. The builders take the plans off site for the time of the scheduled predrywall inspection. So for a predrywall inspection you are looking to see that construction has been performed in a workman like manner, and clients understand that.

3 Likes

Michael that is my experience here. Even though plans should be on site at all times the builder will often remove the drawings. The subcontractors all have their own set of drawings. Pre-drywall inspections only inspect for installed components. Imagine the liability if you inspect by the drawings and the foundation is 2 inches smaller than the drawing and you didn’t catch it. So who is going to pay for adding 2 inches onto the house when the owner measures the foundation after closing?

2 Likes

And those items in the photos are of damaged components/materials.
The client is NOT asking if they are required to be there in the Plans, thus, a set of Plans are not required to determine if the items in question are an issue or not.
As for the rest of the project, again IMO, Plans are not necessary to determine if the home has the appropriate and customary components in place, (without damages or shortcuts in workmanship), that will be hidden once the drywall covers it up.

2 Likes