Air Conditioner Life Expectantcy Thru wall Type

On occassion, I will find thru wall air conditioner units in condo’s with electric as the only energy source.
Should I be stating the life expectantcy of these units as being the same as the central units?

James,

In general, room air conditioners are expected to have a service life of approximately 10 years. Lower annual run-time results in a greater than average life expectancy, such as A/C’s in Massachusetts. We only get 2-3 months of hot weather so our portable A/C’s could last longer than the average portable A/C.

Thank’s for the quick response David.
I was also thinking around the 10 year time frame.

The life expectancy of genuine PTAC’s is head and shoulders above the life expectancy of a window shaker that has been installed as a through-wall.

You guys are right on point with the 10 year time frame, but thats if these PTAC units are being serviced properly. Most people feel that because these units are not running as much as normal a/c units they dont need to serviced, but this is untrue. However servicing these units are different from servicing regular a/c units because they are closed systems.

Luckily window units are not covered by the SOP in the states I serve. That information in my Agreement and I disclaim them in my reports like so:

“The house air conditioning was partially provided by window air conditioners. In accordance with state Standards of Practice and our contract, these units were not tested and you may wish to do so yourself prior to close of escrow.”

Yes and you can buy new one ton window unit for about 25% on a split unit.

Window unit is cheaper in the long run… My opinion.

Roy Cooke

You’re talking about window units versus splits, and I’m talking about window units versus PTAC’s (motel units). I agree with your particular assessment, however.

Yes Sorry Have never inspected Motel units.
I guess They are used for heating too, am I correct?

Roy Cooke

Yup. They’re basically a fancy window shaker, designed in standardized sizes as through wall units. They also incorporate resistance heating elements or they may operate as a heat pump in heating mode. They’re mostly only used in hotels, motels, hospitals, nursing homes, high-rise apartment homes, and dormitories.

IMHO, I don’t think that you should ever state a life expectancy.

1. Standards of Practice

II. The inspector is not required to:

B. Predict the service life expectancy.

This is a awakening the Kraken but we do put ‘Average Service Life’ of such components to help guide our clients. There’s nothing that states you have to do the minimum w/r/t to your State standards. Some may feel that its unnecessary or a liability to add such information but we like to give our clients as much info within reason as we can extract from our inspections. It’s served us well and to date no one has ever bitten us because of it. Every inspector and inspection company is different so YMMV vs ours.

Do not start putting life expectancies in reports - your asking for it
:frowning: