Another Radon test on my own home!

I also had a radon test done on home I’m selling. Test results were high and buyer wants us to put mitigation system in also. My question is they shut down house and turned off air exchange system for test. Doesn’t NACHI say to turn on all air systems 24 hours before test and keep them on during test? I’m going around with the other company about there results and want it re-tested with everything running. I did see a EPA forum that says everything should be closed up and shut off. ( except furnace ) who’s right.

What does the EPA say in regards to testing protcols?

Here this may help

You may also consider following the instructions of the actual test kit. All have specific instructions on what to do.

I did find that after I posted, so it does look like you have to button up the house for testing. oh well, thanks

Counter back that you want a long term test done. You will place money (based on two estimates, min.) in a funding account pending the results of the long term test (minimum 90 days). If the results are 3.9 or less, you get your money back with no mitigation system installed) by you. If 4.0 or above, the money in the account is released to pay for the mitigation system. Any leftover funds get returned to you. Buyer pays any expenses over the funds amount. (Exact terms may vary, consult you RE attorney for advice).

It doesn’t say you must shut down the HVAC though. Most, if not all, manufactures just say not to adjust the temperature, they don’t say shut the AC/furnace down all together.

Short-Term Testing:

This method is the quickest way to test. Short-term tests remain in your home for as little as two (2) days to 90 days depending on the device. “Charcoal canister”, “alpha track”, “electret ion chamber”, “continuous monitors”, and “charcoal liquid scintillation” detectors are most commonly used for short-term testing. Because radon levels tend to vary from day to day and season to season, a short-term test is less likely than a long-term test to tell you your year-round average radon level. If you need results quickly, however, a short-term test followed by a second short-term test may be used to decide whether to fix your home.
Radon Inspection Self-Testing Recommendations for Home Owners

* For 12 hours before a radon inspection test, keep windows and doors closed.
* No testing in severe storms, in high winds and fluctuating barometric pressure.
* House fans or fireplaces should not be used.
* Room air conditioners need to recirculate the room air, not remove it.
* **The furnace, central air and air exchanger (HRV) need to be running normally.**
* Use the lowest level of the home for testing, in a well used room.
* Keep the test away from drafts, high heat, direct sun and high humidity.

What is it so difficult to go read the EPA protocol rather than come here and have this discussion?

I would think you would want the “correct” information directly from the source as the result may cost you some cash!

Who cares what NACHI says?
Is the Radon Tester “Listed” by NACHI or the EPA/YOUR STATE?