Anyone use this method

Originally Posted By: tthompson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Here’s an article from ING insurance.

Infrared Detection of Water Damage
The problem faced by most property owners is that moisture behind walls, over ceilings, and under floors is often impossible to detect until the problem is excessive and visible to the naked eye. Since the investigation and removal of infestations of not yet visible mold in structures is often difficult, technology is now being used to do what once was impossible.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, there is no practical way to eliminate mold spores in an indoor environment. The best way to control mold growth is to control moisture. Mold can begin growth in as little as 24 hours. Roof leaks and water pipe leaks are common sources of water accumulation that may cause mold growth.

Infrared Thermography

Technology has provided a tool that can be used by investigators, remediators, and consultants to detect and help eliminate mold infestations. The technological tool is called Infrared Thermography (IT). IT is a technique that produces an image of invisible (to the human eye) infrared light emitted by objects due to the heat, or lack thereof, in the object called its "thermal condition." The most typical type of thermography camera resembles a typical camcorder and produces a live television picture of heat radiation. More sophisticated cameras can actually measure the temperatures of any object or surface in the image and produce false color images that make interpretation of thermal patterns easier. An image produced by an infrared camera is called a thermogram or sometimes a thermograph.

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Tracy,

Can you give a link to the ING story? I’d like to add it to my web site.

Thanks
Rob Z.

Originally Posted By: tthompson

Hi Rob

Send me your email and I will forward you the letter.

Can you give me some feed back on this equipment..

Cost ..

Usefulness... etc..

Thanks

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

http://www.irmi.com/Expert/Articles/2004/Zalma10.aspx

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dvalley

It would be nice to possess but cost a bundle.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kluce

How much is something like that? About 5 years ago, a guy I met had one that cost around $20,000 at the time. He let me play with it for a few minutes and I must admit, it was cool.

kluce wrote:
How much is something like that? About 5 years ago, a guy I met had one that cost around $20,000 at the time. He let me play with it for a few minutes and I must admit, it was cool.

Keven,
They can be had from arounf $10k to $50k. It all depends on features and options.

Rob Z.