Arc Fault Breakers

Originally Posted By: rhinck
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is the correct manner to test arc-fault breakers?

Originally Posted By: nlewis

From the label of a Cutler Hammer AFCI breaker.

“Pressing the TEST button will test the arc fault detection feature. The breaker handle will snap to the center trip position indicating that the circuit breaker has passed the test.”

Funny thing is, the instructions do not even mention to verify if the breaker actually shut off the juice…

Pretty much the same test for a GFCI. The test button is a complete test of the device. Of course, you can now buy a device specifically to test the AFCI at the outlets.

In N.J. AFCI breakers are not necessary and are specifically exempted from the NEC... for now.

Originally Posted By: rhinck

Neal,

Thank you for your reply, but you hit the nail on the head- how do you know if it actually shut of the power to the room. Does this tester do this for you and where can I find one. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Well you plug in a radio…turn the thing up as loud as you can…and then hit reset on the breaker…if the radio keeps playing…you just realized that even though the breaker tripped…you never lost power icon_surprised.gif

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Just make sure the radio does not have batteries in which case it would not shut off, making you think that something is wrong.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jdavidson

So, the testers we use on GFI don’t trip them?

John,

No, GFCI testers will not trip Arc fault circuits. Ideal is now making a suretest for GFCI and AFCI circuits. All that for the low introductory price of $260 coutesy of http://professionalequipment.com ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

You could probably find it a little cheaper if you wanna look around.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jdavidson

Do we need to test them?

John,

Since I do not like to part with cash for unnecessary toys, I use the test button on the breaker! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

You could always create a arc icon_eek.gif umm nevermind I didn’t say that Don’t do this ok??!! Press the test button instead!!

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

If you are not testing the AFCI why are you testing the GFCI.

Are you doing half of a job?

If you do not want to spend the money on equipment--I have to stop here.

Come on. If you are taking money from a client, spend it on your tools.

One inspection=an AFCI tester.

It does work and is helpful in finding other problems.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

That is, of course, if the AFCI is even REQUIRED by the local AHJ. Many do not require them in my area.

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I have inspected here in Florida for about a year, and I inspected in northern VA for almost 7 years, and I have never run into an AFCI. Hard to justify testing equipment dollars for that.

Blaine

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Precisely…

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

“Residential Code of New York State which was adopted in 2002 and follows the 1999 NEC ( did not contain AFCI code language”

You may want to examine a 1999 NEC

"?Effective January 1, 2002, AFCI protection must
be provided for all 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and
20-ampere receptacles in dwelling bedrooms. This
protection can be provided with AFCI circuit break-ers
or AFCI receptacles. See Section 210-12."

Authors note (mine): AFCI receptacles do not protect the entire circuit. Besides I have not seen one.

Smoke detectors are also required to be AFCI protected when in bedrooms, per 2002 NEC. They change the code to say "outlets". This means lights, smokes, recpt.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Mike … Igor is correct.

The current RCNYS and the 2000 IRC does not require AFCI protection. See Section-E3802 "Ground-Fault and Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection" in either one ... AFCI breakers/protection are not required. The BCNYS/IRC electrical sections are a "stand-alone" part of the code.

AFCI protection was added in a 2002 IRC Supplement, and is included in the 2003 IRC ... probably will be added to the RCNYS in the future ... but is not there yet.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

My post was to let others know that the 1999 NEC if codified makes AFCI’s a requirement effective 1 Jan. 2002.

I know nothing of NY's laws.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Mike Parks wrote:
"Residential Code of New York State which was adopted in 2002 and follows the 1999 NEC ( did not contain AFCI code language"

You may want to examine a 1999 NEC

Igor was indicating that the RCNYS does not require AFCI protection, and he is correct.

Any area under the 2000 IRC also does not have requirements for AFCI protection, unless there is a state/local amendment/MRLS.

Just wanted to be clear on that ... thats all.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong