B.C. home inspector under fire

B.C. home inspector under fire for offering ‘pre-inspections’ to benefit sellers over buyers.

The Home inspectors Association of B.C. has filed a complaint against an inspector they believe is using questionable practices to help realtors sell homes faster. Jordan Armstrong has more on the allegations and what experts say is the best advice for those in the market. Read more. … https://globalnews.ca/news/5489677/bc-home-inspector-pre-inspections/

Already shared Robert :slight_smile: Marketing preinspections in BC

1 Like

Hi Robert. I have started a good conversation about pre listing inspections. Is this popular out in Quebec?
Do inspectors there market this service?

Yes. I do about 10 pre-sales inspections yearly. There is a market for this type of ancillary inspection but remember, you deal with vendors not purchasers. Typically older individuals or estate sales without legal warranty.
You will have allot of questions asked and you must be patient.
Hope that helps.

Damn. Late for the ball, giving a matching gift or wearing the same outfit. That’s me. Always a brides maid and never a bride. Lol
Thanks Junior.
Junior S. Fudge, You’re The Best!

1 Like

Ha ha…my apologies for that. I saw it on the news and wanted to get an unbiased feedback from the members here.

Saw that article as well. Apparently the inspector doesn’t get paid until the property closes. Conflict of interest much?

Morning, William. Hope to find you well and in good spirits today.

There are several arguments that can be successfully made I feel to insure this type of unethical behavior is prevented from becoming a regular occurrence in the industry.

1: Allowing a home inspection report to be used prior payment is a direct liability to the inspector, as well as to the vendor.

From my PIA, to which the client has to be agreed to by signature.

1. Any/all third parties who rely on the report in any way also agree to all provisions in this Agreement.
  2. Payment of the fee to INSPECTOR (less any deposit noted above) is due upon completion of the “onsite inspection.”
    9 a. The CLIENT agrees to pay all legal and time expenses incurred in collecting due payments, including attorney’s fees, if any. If CLIENT is a corporation, LLC, or similar entity, the person signing this Agreement on behalf of such entity does personally guaranty payment of the fee by the entity.

The inspector is directly involved in the sales of real-estate by stating, No Fee until the property is sold.
The inspector is offering a guarantee.

His/Her association should be made aware of what is transpiring.

I often talk about potential conflict and liability issues by the way Inspectors conduct their businesses here. Seldom do we see real life reactions to these practices, but this is one of those.

When you as an inspector ride the ethics line too close, someone will pass a law that is more far reaching than the issue at hand; thus Home Inspection Licensing requirements which are controlled by REA’s and are over the top to protect “Their” financial interests. An ethics concern as well.

As you know I am outspoken when it comes to the ancillary services like HVAC and Thermography by Home Inspectors because HI’s learn a little bit, just enough to become dangerous to their client, and plaster it across their web site as a marketing advantage over other Hi’s. This is exactly what this BC Inspector is doing. It is not that any one thing was wrong, but the way he presented things he was quite transparent as to his intentions.

If he was not screwing the buyer, he was misrepresenting himself to the REA’s. Both are ethics issues.
REA’s represent the seller in all cases, period. Buyer or seller, their client is ultimately the Seller! When an REA brings a buyer to your listed house, this is disclosed and understood by the seller. Any REA does not get paid until the sellers interests have been fulfilled. So even though they are working with the buyer and must consider all ethics, they are agents of the seller.

Take a look at your marketing material. Do you offer things that you really are not an expert in?
HVAC diagnosis is not taking air temp readings of the supply/return with an IR Thermometer. Finding blue spots with a pocket IR camera is not Thermography. Home Inspection is about “Observation” and reporting those observations. If you can’t see something, you must be an expert in that field to talk about it. Many Inspectors are such experts from a previous occupation. This does not mean your web master can stick the same stuff as other inspectors do on your site to be competitive. Reading about a subject in NACHI Training provides you great insight on the subject, but in no way makes you an expert.

If you disregard this you may get away with it, but it may cast a bad light on the entire industry which ultimately will effect you as well. This BC Inspector will effect the world wide Pre-Listing Inspection program due to public opinion (not just case law), even though everything he said was true individually, throwing them all in the mixing pot at once created the projectile to shoot himself in the foot. And you can count on the Provencal Government to step up and protect him from himself!

2 Likes

Agree totally. I wonder if there is an AHJ in British Columbia.

Your Item 3 brushes up against a problem I ran into earlier this year - namely failure of third parties to abide by oral agreements to pay. The seller had told the buyer they would pay my cancellation and re-inspection fees when utilities were not turned on on my first two visits. After I got everything inspected, the buyer decided to terminate. When I billed her for the cancellations and re-inspections she said the seller had agreed to pay for those. I had to explain to her and her agent that I had no agreement or contract with the seller, and with no sale on the table the seller had zero incentive to make good on their promise. Not wanting to alienate a referring agent, I agreed to contact the seller’s agent and request payment. Not surprisingly, neither the seller nor their agent stepped forward to fulfill their obligations, nor did the buyer’s agent make any attempt to get me paid for my time.

Lesson learned. The next time that came up I made it crystal clear to the buyer that they would pay the cancellation fee and it would be up to them to get reimbursement from the seller. I feel for the buyer in these circumstances; the agents involved have failed to do their jobs and they are the ones on the hook for it. It seems to have worked, because the buyer’s agent went to the property and personally made sure the utilities were on before I went back over.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Morning, David.
Any case law president set you are aware of. I think the judge that ruled on Salgado v. Toth, 2009 BCSC 1515 (CanLII), Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (BC), a self-regulating association that licensed this member, had various recommendations for the BC inspection industry, but I forget if presidents were used or set in this case.

Good post Robert!
Fits the definition of the often misinterpreted ‘conflict of interest’ which is representing more than one party in a transaction. They took down that video with the local REA president - go figure. Her knowledge and ethics are severely deficient.

Charging a separate fee to go over the report with Buyer after contracting with the Seller is highly unethical.

Thanks, John.
Roy Cooke use to email me links like this. So it’s not totally my posting idea.
I sure miss my buddy on the MB, big-time.

Listen to him. He says they flood the report with good items as to make defects almost disappear in the report.
Blood fool can not see the forest from the trees.

It appears he does not provide this service anymore.

I see the Buy Back Guarantee Logo in the background. This guy an InterNACHI member?