Bedroom Door leading to garage

Mark, could I ask where and how you found reference to an old Code of such.
References are always good.
Curious:)

I have to admit I’m a bit of an old code nut and I have numerous copies dating back to the first UBC. I have found them very useful when I can easily state a date and code reference to a builder or seller. Clients are impressed also.

www.MauiHomeInspections.com

Mark,
The UBC was first published in 1927 by the International Council of Building Officials. It was intended to promote public safety and provided standardized requirements for safe construction which would not vary from city to city as had previously been the case.

Where were you able to get a copy of the old UBC like this one?
Other than from an archive of Library’s?
Not that this information is of any good to perform Home Inspections, but rather to help one’s personal thirst for knowledge and History. :slight_smile:

ICBO used to sell a cd version of the old codes but I cannot find it anywhere online now.
I have to disagree about the value of this knowledge for a home inspector. I occasionally run across a vintage 1920s or 30s home that is basically a time capsule and untouched by modern hands. The seller “by code” is not required to upgrade to current code so most of my report on an older home will state recommended safety upgrades and not state them as defects. Thats my thinking at least.

http://www.nachi.org/attached-garage-fire-hazards.htm

Do you write this up as a defect or safety issue even if there is no code to require it?

Your decision to mention any safety concern need never be dependent on your knowledge of a corresponding code.

That is absolutely correct Nick.

Codes are based on:

Systematic statement of a body of rules that govern and constrain the design, construction, alteration, and repair of buildings. Such codes are based on requirements for the safety, health, and quality of life of building users and neighbors, and vary from city to city.

As Home Inspectors and not Code Enforcement Officers, we show clients the existing status of the condition of the building. As proffessional Home Inspectors, assessing the building condition, will sometime envolve pointed areas of concern that might affect the occupants of the building, and though not all parts of the building meet today’s standard of construction, one has to comment on issues that pertain to safety.
Whether it is a code or not at the time, is irrelevant.
The main concern would be loggical safety, health, and quality of the occupants. :slight_smile:

Mark, what are you quoting? ubc?

Good point, but how would you write up light switches within reach of a tub/shower, but not inside one? It’s ok in USA but not Canada.

yes.

Yes.

My opinion means nothing to my clients if it is not based on facts.

The garage should be kitchen to garage only. The bedroom is unsafe because carbon monoxide can potentially kill the occupants while they are asleep.

No!
In fact, rarely is the door directly to the kitchen.
The Garage to House door can be anywhere, just NOT to a bedroom!

Note: This thread began 16 years ago. Nothing has changed since that time!

2 Likes