Black substance on circuit breakers

Yes, only on the lower portion of the breaker and on both sides of the panel, and only on some of the breakers. There was another old panel in the building also that had one or two breakers with the same black substance in the same spot.

Assuming I did remove the dead front, what are the most likely things I would see there? I could go back and remove the dead front but there’s no point since the substance is sketchy enough to report an electrician come and take a look at it. The electrician can be one to take the risk of taking the dead front off. I’m just curious if anyone has ever seen this black tar in that location on a circuit breaker before and what it could be.

Yes, that’s my only guess if it was put there on purpose by an electrician.

Could be a potting material (like what is seen with a light ballast) that has now been overheated and oozed out. I also read that circuit breakers have a internal oil or liquid which is meant to diffuse or extinguish the arc flash when it trips.

Since it’s only on the bottom side of the horizontal breakers one could assume that it’s coming from inside of the breaker.

1 Like

Electrical tape may have once been present and due to heat exposure got a little goouy. And when removed stickum left over.

CAnt tell be picture, overheated breaker? Did you open panel cover?

Post #5, David said:

1 Like

You have got to be kidding me!

3 people liked the post. Are you going to ban them too?

What exactly needs to be changed in this post? The obvious facts that the OP did not open the panel. Comes here and asks for us to answer his questions that he can not answer because he did not do what is expected from a Home Inspection, as well as the SOP from wherever you are.

If I want this crap, I’ll go to Facebook and be censored.
This place is turning to shit!

5 Likes

I hope not!!

1 Like

@gromicko

Hey Nick… I thought you took care of this Flagging BS!!

2 Likes

a kinder gentler message board???