BlazeGuard Fire Rated Sheathing

Has anyone experienced any breakdown in BlazeGuard fire rated sheathing, or have any information on the product as far as any known problems with the product? I’ve attached a photo of the same type condition found in a townhouse attic of an inspection I performed, that shows definite breakdown. I’ve seen this stuff plenty times before, but never with any breakdown. My guess is it’s part of the same ventilation problem that was also noted while in the attic. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just inspected the same condition in a townhome attic. The cracking separation is in various locations. Question: is the fire rating diminished when it is cracking and separating from the OSB sheathing? Is it separating because moisture is getting under the OSB from improper ventilation? and as it cracks can it become hazardous to breath?

I’ve never seen this product before, but from just a glance at the above photo, the damage seems to be related to the roofing nails. Too long? Improper install? Once the product was damaged/breached, many other contributing factors come into play.

1 Like

I am not familiar with it either, but in the condition it is in the fire rating is toast.

2 Likes