Bonding on a 3 wire subpanel?

Per before… metal conduit is allowed to act as EGC, was the conduit from the meter outside to the service panel metal? Did you find GEC going to the meter enclosure?

That’s what I was thinking… :smile:

are you referring to the first set of pictures, or these ones?

On the first post, didn’t verify conduit, but they are back to back, so I assume it had a metal bushing connection… But it sounds like it shouldn’t have one, since that is line side?

The pics from 2013 house

If this is not the service then the neutral bus and the EGC bus should not be connected together as they are in the photo.

From a few posts up, Rob:

I couldn’t verify, its all inside the walls. And no, I didnt even see an EGC at the meter, figured it was inside the plastic conduit going to the rebar. Usually they embed it in the stucco from the meter base

It was the service in the garage, 200 amp breaker at the bottom

The GEC (grounding electrode conductor) that goes to the grounding electrode(s) likely terminates inside the meter enclosure. Then you are fine with 3 feed to the service panel. The neutral is grounded inside the meter and the service panel is bonded via the same neutral. We do not ground inside meters here… I would find out from your local electrical inspector if this is normal for your area. If it’s not inside the meter then you could be missing grounding but I highly doubt it.

Ok, thanks for that explanation! On all the newer homes here, they ground to the meter.
I was just curious because I see them set up with the 4 feed as well to the service panel. (those are usually back to back, if that matters)
Normally on the new homes, you see the meter and service together outside, with the grounding electrode to the meter, and then another EGC bonding the meter to the service. Then you have the distribution panel in the garage.

If the service disconnect is on the outside by the meter then you will have 4 feed going from the enclosure with the disconnect to the sub-panel (remote distribution panel). If you are saying you have seen EGC (equipment grounding conductor) in form of a 4th conductor go from the meter (no disconnect by its side) to the service (main) panel inside the house that would be wrong.

I think you have your terms confused. The meter does not get a EGC. If coming from rebar it would be a GEC. If allowed it would be a GEC. An EGC is to ground a branch circuit or a feeder.

1 Like

yes, thanks