Bonding Piping 101....Good To Know !

Right you are Greg. I guess I got used to saying NMC as an abbreviation for non-metallic sheathed cable as a whole.

We call it Rope in the west…:smiley:

You all say…Howdy Their Partner…Git Y’r soldrin Ironz and Maker uz a Rope…< sound of Dale spitting in a spitoon >

Just using the term “sheathed cable” to describe type NM wire works for me and clients too … :wink:

P.S. Perhaps the question could be worded … “Should Gas Piping Within Dwellings Get Bonded?” (couldn’t resist … lol).

JMO & 2-nickels … :wink:

lol…Robert…Notice my second post after the original…lol…I realized once I made the thing it was not something I could change…lol…lessoned learned…lol

Paul,
regarding your initial post…thanks for the gooood info. The point you make about the appliance providing the ground (or not)for the pipe (in some circumstances) is good to be aware of. Thanks
Ed

Thanks Ed,

Thats what I am here for…Feel free to hollar at me anytime.

Wow…only 69% got this one…

Bump…Good Info

Bonding is good.

G2411.1 (310.1) ICC IRC to see the full text. The gas lines are bonded if the egc of the circuit supplying the equipment is used.–My words.

Yes, Mike that is the exception that allows the equipment ground of the actual “UNIT” for a lack of better term to be the actual bonding…Yeppers…however in open crawl spaces and such that have plain gas piping it SHOULD be bonded…and this COULD mean in multiple places…

ahhh…Educational Information at it’s best…

Ahh…it lives again…for the Newbies

BUMP

Just dont do it in NY City or Westchester County, NY or Consolidated Edison will turn the gas off!

They are the actual AHJ. Here in Rockland, O&R also has the final say. I NEVER see the gas line bonded…

lol…so I should not post it because of (1) county…or state…lol…I can’t help it if your state is HALF ASSED backwards…:slight_smile:

Hell nothing in NY City gets inspected anyway right away…so go figure.

I have to say, I agree with Joe AND Paul.

Thing is the gas piping IS bonded, by the circuit conductors. No additional bond is required by code.
The codes reference is right in that image as was stated before. 250.104(B)

NY just does not want an unnecessary additional external bond. I assume this is because if all else fails, the gas pipe does not become a current carrying electrode.

There are changes coming in NYS. The national law suit brought about because of CSST installations has brought this topic to the forefront in NY. Many other states have already made changes to deal with this situation. NY is just slower than some :wink:

I am curious to see what the end result will be. It will definitely have an impact on the installation of gas pipe bonding. Lets just wait and see.