Brick veneer lintel

OK, maybe I am having a brain fart but why does the lintel appear short as in not going across the top of the door and window frame at this turn buckle balcony and continuing into the surrounding brick for support ?
No end dam either.

2006 build and from what I can tell the others are the same.

This is a Bank Owned Condo Building and obviously if this is an an issue the client is not about to pay for an SE ,so any suggestions? or am I being over concerned here?
[ATTACH][ATTACH]

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

What type of construction is this Bob? Wood-frame, steel-frame, CMU or (as it appears) is the brick/masonry actually the wall, and not a veneer? Also, why would you refer an SE for a masonry issue?

At first thought, a steel hanging lintel came to mind, but even those will have a typical 4" of bearing on each side of the opening.
The next possibility is a steel beam with a flat plate welded to the underside of it that extends out to pick up the brick, it’s thickness might not have allowed it to bear on the brick.
Further information would be required and Jeff said. :slight_smile:

Sorry out and about but as title states it is Brick veneer.
CONDO UNIT inspection.
I think Marcel has the right idea but look at this flashing
Most likely CMU behind it.

Bob, most brick veneers with CMU back up have loose steel lintels that bear on the brick on each side.
Some steel brick angle lintels are also bolted, but again bear on the brick on each side of the opeing.
I guess this one is wrong or a design that I have never encounter in commercial building to date.
Something has to support that angle.

Hanging steel lintel
Bolted steel lintel to CMU back-up
Loose steel lintel

How old was this building. Most codes now require a steel relieving angle every 24’ in height.

Curious on this one Bob as to what supports it.
The flashing extends beyound the angle in one picture and not visible in the other. Was that the same window opening.?
Don’t see weep holes in the soldier course either. :slight_smile:

shelf angle

This might help also.

http://www.masonrysystems.org/information/veneer-lintels-shelf-angles/

:slight_smile:

Thanks guys, out e. Joying fests and as also in first post it is 2006.
Will add more tonight as I am still on it.

Missed the 2006, wow, would be interesting to see the design drawing on that one. :slight_smile:

You are correct it would be a masonry issue.
Typed too fast to get the question posted on my way out. :slight_smile:

There are a number that appear this way after going through building exterior shots.

Marcel it must be your first thought as far as lintel extension goes but wanted to hear it from someone else.
They must be using the CMU to hold up the lintel as if it was a shelf.

Do not always get enough wall structure or structure access during a condo examination as most of you guys know.The interior public garage was CMU with brick veneer which actually means nothing but supports that the entire building may be CMU as it is only 3+stories.

That lintel should have carried over 4 inches in both directions.
Support the load and bond the brick plains.
It might be anchored into a metal beam work to carry the loads above it .

Ether or that situation should have been addressed.
Sometimes you can not carry the lintel over.
Foam doweling and expansive caulk are used to adsorb the expansions, contractions.
My 2 cents.

Could not put a bore scope in the opening Bob?
Expansion joint.
Typical on iron work setup.
Could be a iron beam retro fit just for the baloney section.
If not then bad window installers.

Robert that is not an expansion joint but is part of the turnbuckle support.
Also I have never seen an expansion joint near a corner before unless it served as a transition to face brick for instance.

I think this is covered with the information I have so far.

Robert that is not an expansion joint but is part of the turnbuckle support.
Thank BOB.
That wall does not make sense to what I have built and seen build .
I will try to get you examples or the wall as they are going up and photos of the building nest to mine for example.

Being only a unit inspection I am going to suppose that the lintels are supported by something other than the window and door frames as there would be damage much worse than the mortar cracks Observed .

Final thought is that the moisture barrier does not cover the ends and is causing the mortar gaping along with the rust at the lintel area.

so any suggestions? or am I being over concerned here.

The question is the lintel installed right.

My opinion no. No 4" overlay on to joining wall.

Recommend: A licensed Mason.
I being over concerned here.
Yes.

Robert ,thanks for the help but i think this is settled.read comments above you and here is my report commentary.

Lintel area above balcony entrance /window frame has mortar cracks at the soldier bricks and lintel does not enter 4 inches into surrounding brick however may be supported by another method unseen.
Recommend Mason examine this area and make repairs if needed.

Flashing may be short and allowing Water Intrusion .

i’d mention the corrosion also…ymmv

The presence of corrosion at any metal surfaces is not only an aesthetic detractor but will eventually compromise its proper function and structural integrity. Therefore, periodic cleaning and clearing of all surface corrosion and repainting is required and advised too avoid failure before it occurs. Unsupported masonry failure from elevations is a known safety hazard.