Building Science & Infrared Thermal Imaging for Inspectors Course

Hello,
this post is meant to satisfy the requirements for the Building Science and Thermal Imaging course.
The image I have choosen is a bathroom fan installed in the ceiling that is showing a small amount of deterioration in the drywall surrounding it. This condition can be caused by an uninsulated or leaky vent duct that is condensing in the cold attic due to the warm humid air it is removing from the bathroom. I am interested to see what a thermal imagining camera would reveal in this location.

Hello,
This post is ment to satisfy the requirements for the ‘Building Science, thermal imaging class.’
The two articles I chose to read were, “Thermal imaging report writing” and “IR cameras: inspecting for moisture intrusion.”
A few of the good take aways from these articles were:
-When writing the report make sure to include information regarding the weather at the time of inspection and recent weather. Provide information regarding the camera and settings you used. (these will be important when you reinspect after repairs have been made). It is also important to provide regular digital images side by side the thermal images for reference.
-When inspecting for moisture intrusion it it important to always double and tripple check the findings of the thermal image with a moisture meter and with your own eyes.

Roof Valley Tiles..jpg

Roof Valley Tiles
The valley’s tiles are not neat and should be cut neatly in a straight line on both sides to form a gap of at least 50mm along the entire line of the valley to prevent debris (leaves, twigs etc) clogging the valley and causing roof leaks that result in water dripping on the ceiling . When followed up the insulation in the attic where the water leak dripped on was discovered and the wet spot on the ceiling seen once the insulation was moved away to inspect the damage.

Fireplace Fuel
by Nick Gromicko

The article was very informative especially as barbeque or "Braai” as we know it in South Africa is the highest type of entertainment and party cooking method. One does not always think of the effect that the wood (Fuel) could have in a situation like this, especially with mostly all the men standing around the fire. I will most definitely use this article in my discussions with my clients and our discussions around their ‘Braai’ areas which in the region where I operate is mostly found in house. I will most definitely refer to it in my report on the Garden and the wood pile that I will definitely find at 99% of my inspections.
Burglar-Resistant Homes
by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard

This was a very informative article and although the statistics differ from the area where I operate in the general precautions recommended can most definitely be shared with my clients. This is a very hot topic and everybody is very security cautious in my area of business. A very informative article with a lot of very good and practical recommendations to become more alert.

Posting per course requirements.FLIR0007.jpg

At the time of inspection there was evidence of moisture intrusion detected with thermal imaging, and confirmed with the use of a moisture meter. Relative moisture levels were observed to be 15-17% higher in the area in question compared to the surrounding wall and ceiling.

Inspection assignment: Exterior Inspection

Visual inspection of exterior of home with EIFS finish. Temperature variation was noted in window sill while scanning exterior with infrared camera for anomalies. Upon closer visual inspection, mechanical damage, and a previous repair was noted. Several open cracks were found and verification with a moisture meter showed evidence of water infiltration and moisture readings substantially higher than areas adjacent to the damage. Recommended sealing open cracks with a quality exterior caulking, or engaging a qualified professional to repair damaged area.

FLIR0042.jpg

FLIR0043.jpg

FLIR0044.jpg

FLIR0047.jpg

FLIR0044.jpg

FLIR0044.jpg

FLIR0042.jpg

Reading and Writing Assignment:

Article #1

Water Damage and EIFS

This article starts with the basics of EIFS, and some of the concerns around how the system has been designed, without the ability to breathe or release moisture that may become trapped behind the finishes outer skin. Primarily the areas that are the most common for water infiltration are ares of mechanical damage, flashings and joints. Prolonged moisture levels beyond 30% will result in rot occurring in the substructure. Visual inspection is the starting point for any EIFS inspection, followed by moisture probing if an improper installation or moisture intrusion is suspected. It is recommended that inspectors have a knowledge of installation specifications if EIFS is present in their areas.

Article #2

Septic System Inspections

This article begins with septic system basics and how the septic tank and drainage field work to separate the effluent and sludge to ensure only the effluent enters the drainfield. There are some great tips on how to locate the septic tank and field if the location is unknown by the current owner. Key inspection items are listed, verifying the level of sludge in the tank, proper distribution, proper location and a visual check to verify that waste is not making its way to the ground surface. Maintenance tips, and safety precautions seem key to inspection and keeping any septic system running as well as it can.

As per assignment 1

Attic Insulation

There appears to be Vermiculite insulation in the attic. This type of insulation may contain some trace amounts of asbestos. Although testing is needed to confirm this, it is best to assume it may contain asbestos and should not be disturbed. Remediation or removal of the material is generally needed only if disturbed during remodeling or repair in the area, and the process can be invasive and costly.

Article #1
Asbestos Cement Siding Inspection:
This article reviews that history of asbestos cement siding. For its beginnings in 1907 to its demise in the 1970s. It also reviews the health risks associated with the asbestos contained in the siding. Both the advantages and disadvantages of the siding is discussed. As well as reviewing the maintenance of the siding. Finally, inspection tips are given for the home inspector.

Article #2
Barn Inspection:
This article reviews what a barn is and is used for. It also poses two important questions that inspectors should ask themselves when beginning the inspection. 1) What is the climate where the barn is? 2) Is the barns use to remain the same? The implications of these question will guide the inspector.
It goes on to recommend the appropriate personal protection equipment a inspector should wear. Finally, the article covers the many hazards that can exist in a barn and the many recommendations for the new owner that the inspector should cover.

Just finished the video portion of ‘Building Science and Infrared Thermal Imaging.’ The presentations, course information, imaging interpretations and marketing ideas were excellent. Very helpful.

About to do my inspection and reading assignments. Then the exam! See you at the end.

Mike
Mike’s Home Inspection Services, Inc.
Americus, GA

[ATTACH][ATTACH]

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] This is a visual construction draw inspection. The middle photo shows the vapor building wrap. The exterior will be hardy board. The bottom photo shows the structural framing for a cathedral ceiling. Wanted to show this to say that the cathedral ceiling will be spray foamed before adding the dry wall ceiling. I will try to follow-up with photos after the spray foam has been finished. The top photo I have added is one of the crawlspace. Wanted you to see the crawlspace before the heavy mil vapor barrier is installed. It will be installed 18-24" up the foundation wall and on the bottom of crawlspace. The foundation walls will be completely spray foamed over the vapor barrier forming a nice seal. The masonry contractor will have to close off the ventilation opening in the foundation walls before the process is done. He had forgotten that spray foam was going to be used.

The exterior walls and roof structure will be spray foamed. Again, I will try to get some photos uploaded to show the crawlspace, exterior walls and roof structure with the spray foam finish.

Thanks for letting me share the images and report.

Mike
Americus, GA

The two articles I have chosen to report on are, ‘Moisture Meters for Inspectors’ and ‘Thermal Imaging Report.’

Moisture Meters for Inspectors
The article opens with a definition of what a moisture meter is. It is a ‘device that is designed to measure the moisture content of various building materials.’ The types of materials can be roofing, siding, insulation, drywall, plaster, tile and fiberglass. The moisture meter when used to inspect these materials, assists the inspector in making sure that such materials are free from water/moisture intrusion which is the primary cause of extensive damage in building structures.

The moisture meter also helps to assist the inspector to determine if the moisture content in these materials is enough to allow mold to grow. When an area appears to be dry, the inspector can use the moisture meter to verify if the area is an active or a non-active leak.

The meter can be used to determine whether or not it is safe for home owners to return to their homes after they had been evacuated because of flooding. Moisture meters can be used to determine if wood is dry enough to stain or paint.

The article points out two types of moisture meters. One is the ‘pin type’ and the other is a ‘search mode’ type of meter. The pin type "is used to measure the moisture content of a material’s surface, or at an incremental depth using probes. This can be used on such materials as stucco, drywall, plaster and wood. These slender metallic probes with sensitive tips come in varying lengths that extends the reach of the meter’s electrodes.

The ‘search mode’ which is also known as a pinless mode, detects and measures moisture content beneath the surface of a material. As the article describes, “meters in this mode emit electromagnetic waves (usually radio waves or an electrical current) that are affected by the presence of moisture.” The actual depth that these waves travel vary based on the material’s properties and the settings of the device. Generally, the penetration depth ranges from 1/2" to 3/4" beneath the surface and are unaffected by surface moisture.

Search mode is commonly used on the sides and base of a tub or shower. It will help detect moisture that has leaked from a dishwasher into the surrounding kitchen materials.

When metal is present within the penetrating range of the meter, false readings can occur, readings that the moisture level is higher than the actual level of the material being inspected. These metals which can give false readings are copper wire, lead pipe and other types of metallic substances.

Overall, the moisture meter is a helpful tool to aid the inspector in the inspection of difficult and inaccessible places. Two types of moisture meters are available, sometimes in the same model.

Thermal Imaging Reports
The article opens with a stated fact, “InterNACHI inspectors know that the true product that they sell to their clients is their home inspection report.” This is what makes the presentation, format, language, graphics, and even the software an inspector uses, will either give the client a positive or negative impression. A good, solid and well written report give the client greater confidence in the Home Inspector having done their home inspection.

This report shows how Infrared Thermal Imaging, which is an advanced, non-evasive technology, can aid the inspector to show homeowners things about their homes that otherwise could not be seen using the conventional inspection methods.

There are some Do’s and Don’ts the article points out. First the Do’s. Do explain the limitations of thermal imaging. Do explain the capabilities of thermal imaging and how it will benefit the homeowner. Explain how it can help determine energy loss. Do share with the client how the IR Camera can detect moisture intrusion, hot spots in the home and hot spots in circuit breakers, over loaded equipment and components and electrical faults that can cause fires. Do share that with proper settings (If the camera used has these settings), that the presence of rodents and pests can be detected as well as dangerous flue leaks.

The Don’ts. Don’t unduly alarm the client when possible areas of moisture intrusion are located. Remember, qualify the image with a moisture meter. Confirmation is essential. Don’t overwhelm the client with one’s expertise of technical terms. Just be straight forward and clear so they can understand what you are showing them. Don’t offer to repair the problems that are found. Our code of ethics prohibits this.

The Report should include the basics, the interpretation of the results which will help the client determine how to address any problems that have been encountered. As far as the Technical and Factual Data using the IR Camera, "provide identifying information regarding your camera and the settings used at the time of the inspection. Also, provide a brief narrative or even a checklist describing the weather and other relevant conditions in and around the home at the time of the IR inspection.

The article points out that “it may be a good idea to start off your report with a brief narrative that acknowledges the reasons that your client requested an IR inspection in the first place, similar to a doctor’s report.”

Make sure the report is user friendly and provides both the standard digital photos and thermal image photos side by side of the same area. This will certainly help the client recognize the areas of concern.

The article speaks of three types of repairs that can be on the report. Immediate, Short-Term and Long-Term. Along with the client, the repairs can be prioritized. Finally, schedule a Re-inspection. This will help the client stay on track for the follow-up visit. Helps motivate them to get done what needs to be done.

The article closes with the expense of IR Cameras, but that IR inspections can be used as part of the home inspection or as an ancillary service. Discovering the advantages by the inspector in offering thermal imaging inspections.

Thanks for the two articles.

Mike
Americus, GA

The water heater vents into the chimney by itself (no furnace vent), this is called an orphaned water heater meaning the chimney flue is too large to support proper drafting of combustion products, which include carbon monoxide. The chimney requires the installation of a properly sized liner from the water heater to the top of the chimney. Recommend correction by a licensed plumber / HVAC technician.

Article 1
Bat infestation

Bat infestation in homes, especially in attics, can be a health hazard, as well as a nuisance with such diseases as Rabies and Histoplasmosis. Entry points can be as small as 3/8” and will often have stains or grease and dirt from their coats.
You should not remove bats during the summer months as baby bats will starve to death resulting in their death and decomposing bodies left in the attic.
Bats can transmit dangerous diseases such as Rabies and Histoplasmosis therefore homeowners should be wary of bat infestations.

Article 2
Ant inspection

Ants are among the most prevalent pests in all buildings where food and water can be found. Most ants observed are workers normally sterile females gathering food. Carpenter ants nest are more likely to be found in damp wood were water leaks have occurred such as around roof leaks, bathtubs and sinks, poorly sealed windows and door frames or damp hollow wall voids.
Entry points for ants include holes or cracks in walls or foundations, were pipes enter buildings, and around windows and doors. Kitchens or food preparation areas are particular problem areas.
Eliminating wood-to-ground contact, store food items that attract ants in closed containers, remove garbage from buildings, seal cracks and openings in the foundation all help to reduce the potential for future ant problems.

This is a picture of a new 38 gallon electric water heater. It has an expansion bladder tank for pressure fluctuations . It also has a TPR valve

Primary Attic
Exhaust Ducts
8 (5.1) - The laundry room dryer exhaust vent might be clogged or in need of service due to
all the dryer lint present in the attic. I recommend further evaluation as a fire safety
precaution.

Ir Class
i read an article about anti tip device on the stoves. The article was interesting since not very many people have been hurt the amount of people hurt abd the time in between is a long time. But the code is out there and i believe if we can keep one person from being badly burned or hurt it’s a good thing. unless being used i always pull out the stove and take a picture if one is missing. then i do my stove inspection. I also leave on the venting fan untill i’m finished with my bake and broil inspection.

The second article i read was on drones. the article was a little dated but had some good links to web sites. At the faa website there was so much lawer talk i could barely understand what the heck they were talking about. i’m still not quite understanding all that we can do. but i’m sure i could email and within a few months the faa mite get back to me.

The photos show thermal bridging through the wall stud, rafters and door header. Thermal bridging is the heat transfer through the framing components through conduction, this image shows how well the insulation reduces heat transfer in comparison. Also shown in the picture is hot air coming out through the condenser coil of the refrigerator and rising up and being absorbed in the wall.

The photo show thermal bridging through the wall stud, rafters and door header. Thermal bridging is the heat transfer through the framing components through conduction, this image shows how well the insulation reduces heat transfer in comparison. Also shown in the picture is hot air coming out through the condenser coil of the refrigerator and rising up and being absorbed in the wall.

FLIR0074.jpg

Bat infestation can be bring disease by leaving excrement in attic and it becoming air born in the dust. Bat houses are man made living quarters designed for bats. They reduce likelihood of unwanted bats in your attic while allowing the bats to coexist in the area and feed on the bugs you do not want around. Below is an IR image of a bat I captured flying in and out of a hole in the soffiting.

FLIR0083.jpg