Built-up posts suspect

New construction, the contractor decided to get “cute” with his approach to supporting 8x10 green hemlock posts, by adding blocking in between each post to allow for insulation. So essentially there is only 4 1/2" supporting a 8" wide beam. To me this seems like a no go, I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this in some way and can argue that it does perform in an acceptable manner.

Also, the ceiling joists are being lapped over the central “girder” (2x4 structural wall) are spaced with a blocking to “allow for the rafter in between”. Once again I don’t think I have ever seen anything like this.
Uploading: IMG_8120.jpeg…

Post is fine. I’ve done it similar ways when I was in construction

2 Likes

Depends on the weight that it is supporting. A single 2x4 can support approximately #1000.
Sandwiched like they are and restrained vertically, can likely support more.

The blocking inbetween the ceiling joist is most likely due or required because of layout and I don’t see that as an issue.

4 Likes

Yep, I’ve done the same, too.

1 Like

One way to get rid of your scrap material but shorty workmanship, is it worth the cost of a couple of extra 2xs

1 Like

That place looks like a game of Jenga but I agree it’s probably okay. Someone might be in for a surprise later when they try to hang a picture.

Chances are the builder is trying to hide a screwup with the blocking?

Yeah there was some really low end work throughout this build. The owner called me in as he noticed the header had two jacks on one side and none on the other. When I showed up, they “fixed it”, but no blocking below the king/jacks below to the foundation. And those “Jenga” posts also do not have blocking or solid posts below them. I felt like I needed a check on this one as I am just on a tear with many other write-ups.

Check out this vaulted dormer ridge detail- I have no clue what they were doing here.

2 Likes

And a blocking path to foundation is needed…

2 Likes

And a rim joist, That work wouldn’t fly where I am,

2 Likes

Yeah, I meant to add that but trying to help grand-daughter… too may things…LOL

2 Likes

Yup, that is what I was talking about. Both sides are missing the rim blocking and no posts below either. The builder stated that they add that later. I don’t see how the order of operations would allow that to happen naturally. The poor owner has been taken for a ride by a bunch of guys who have no right building a home and they are just taking more steps backwards then forwards it seems. Not my problem as this whole build is going to need a structural engineer at this point. I just feel that there is potential for other areas that I am not able to fully see through their garbage.

2 Likes

You got that right.
Just goes to show you when we start with only one picture to ask for an opinion when we can’t see the whole picture.
None of that work would pass a code inspection.

4 Likes

Apparently they didn’t either.

2 Likes

Yeah I left out all the other nonsense to prevent prejudice to the “alternative” built up post question.
Unfortunately around here, almost all new construction does not see any type of inspection/ evaluation. The only reason this project got flagged was because a high build was happening up the street. A sub contractor stopped into the wrong project and immediately saw the nonsense and alerted the owner.
I’m trying to figure out the best way to word in a subtle way that the owner should boot the builder and hire someone who knows what they are doing.

That is going to be finish living space where the valley overbuild is. I have no faith these guys will know how to finish that space.

1 Like