Can chlorinating the well kill the septic?

Originally Posted By: jsmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The instructions I just read for chlorinating a well includes running all faucets until a hint of chlorine bleach can be detected and letting it set for 24 hrs then flushing the bleach out until the bleach smell can no longer be detected. My question is won’t running all this bleach water into the septic kill the bacteria in the septic? How can the septic be restored?

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

jsmith3 wrote:
My question is won't running all this bleach water into the septic kill the bacteria in the septic?

Maybe not all but a lot of the bacteria will not make it. So reduce the amount of bleached water that goes into the septic.

1) Put bleach in well
2) Run all faucets until a hint of chlorine bleach can be detected
3) Let sit for 24 hrs
4) Turn on exterior faucets with hose routed to a location that will not be affect by bleach. A gravel area is good.
5) Continue with the exterior faucets until there is no bleach smell
6) Then flush out the interior faucets until the bleach smell can no longer be detected.

jsmith3 wrote:
How can the septic be restored?

A few #2 's otta do it ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)
There is stuff on the market that is basically dehydrated bacteria. You flush them down the toilet to give your septic a bacteria boost. Personally I think they are waste of money and see no need for them.

Note: that bleaching a well will not be effective if the contamination is from before the well such as surface run off water getting into the well or near by abandoned wells, etc

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Bleach in the poop tank is not a good idea, it will kill off the bacteria, although if you have already done so a product like RID X can help to restore the bacteria, it is similar to brewers yeast.

Originally Posted By: dandersen

I have a dozen horses around here that can help you out.

What’s your shipping address? icon_razz.gif

Originally Posted By: rwand

If you are going to chlorinate a well ensure you use unscented Javex.

It is a good idea to mix the Javex with a quantity of water, then pour the mix into the well. It is also a good idea if you can to agitate the water in the well before running water through taps to ensure proper mixing.

Running chlorinated water on the grass will not kill it but it will bring up the worms to the surface.

Ensure your well is sealed tight and screen over the opening will prevent insect entry and mice. I have seen snakes, mice and other vermin in wells.

Depending on your water table, quality of water, iron content, etc, you may have to do this annually or more often. Your best protection is to perform a minimum of 3 water samples for bacteria through out the year to establish a base reading.

Be sure to by-pass your water softner from the chlorination procedure.

As to your septic you don't need any additives nature looks after. Additives are a gimmick.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)