Ceiling Fan Clearance?

…or a fan supported by the structure independent of the box.

Actually a better option Pete. That is how I like them too. Thanks for pointing that out.

OK
I’ll bite, what is a fan rated box?
Larry

That is a box that has larger screws and support to carry the weight of a fan.

http://www.passandseymour.com/literature/pdf/33845_P&S_Bull_FanBox.pdf

All cieling fans sold up in the great white north have to be supplied with a saftey cable.

6’ 8" is the standard for door height so I would think this would be a standard to go by. Unless you’re installing ceiling fans at Michael Jordan’s crib.:shock:

Minimum 7’ from floor to bottom of blade.

minimum 12" from top of blade to cieling

Afan rated box is one that is capable of hanging a 35 lb. cieling fan from

wow,i need spell check…

The 7’ rule is the manufacturer’s requirement, which we must follow as licensed installers.
The 12" rule does not exist. In fact many fans come with shorter stems or adapters to “semi-flush” mount them.

I have installed many ceiling fans on my moonlighting jobs on weekends, and to be honest, I am far from being a qualified Electrician, but the procedure and installation is and was based on what I was taught by Electricians and leave it at that.
The fans that I installed in eight foot ceilings were usually 10- 12" down from the ceiling with no stem obviously. They always come with the teather cable and some of these fans come with so much wires that you litterally have to have the teather cable suspend the fan while attempting to hook up the wires. The boxes are similar to the octagon boxes and come with manufacturers screws to hold the weight of the fan to wood blocking.

Considering the amount of wiring involved, I would not attempt to install one without a cable, and if it did not have one, I would fabricate one to ease the installation.
When I do this moonlighting stuff, I am not an HI. I am Mr. Fix It. Believe me I am close friends with Master Electricians, and Plumbers, because I want it done right. Might not be legal, but done right.
When an HI. I wear a different hat. When I am a Commercial Builder, I wear a white hat, when a plumber, that is a different hat, when an electrician that is another hat with limitations and a lot of friends. And so on.

I cater to a selected few elderly people that call me occasionally to do repairs and remodel work of 1- 2 days max. and they always call me back. It is something to fall on to for extra money. I treat them good and the favor always comes back. At least I know they were not taken advantage of.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

As has been stated, the NEC reference here is 110.3(B). The manufacturers all provide instructions for the height requirements of ceiling paddle fans. Don’t assume as an inspector that the fan has to be a certain height. One can certainly figure the 7 foot minimum height as a good starting point.

Other clearances to be aware of is the distance from the edge of the blade to the wall or ceiling (sloping ceilings). This is also important as it may affect the “wobble” of the blade.