changes to NEC ?

Originally Posted By: bking
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

An employee at a local home improvement store is telling customers that the code just changed and 14ga is ok for 20 amps. 12ga ok for 25 amps, and that aluminum ratings are the same as copper.

I don't believe changes like this will ever happen, anyone heard of this?

--
www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: bsumpter

I’m not sure that I’m buying what he said.

Perhaps Jeff P or Joe T knows....

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
Conductor Ampacity = The total amp load that the NEC allows a conductor to carry and be considered to meet the minimum safety standards after de-ration calculations are performed as required.

Unless the laws of physics change, this will remain.

Tables 310.16 through 310.21 show maximum conductor ampacity, however, other factors to be considered (although way beyond the scope for an HI) are temperature limitations (110.14C), continuos loads (210.19A &215.2A) ambient temperature (310.16 - 310.21) and number of current carrying conductors (310.15B2a) to name a few. . .

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jkormos

sounds like they are trying to move product

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

Yesterday that same guy told my that he only cooks the McDonald’s fries in peanut oil to reduce cholesterol. Last week he stripped my oil pan bolt at the quicky lube. nachi_sarcasm.gif

Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Tell him to shut up! and you should call the local electrical inspector and tell him that this person is giving misleading information!!!

Here is was the code says and is based upon the asterisks * in Table 310.16 for 14, 12, and 10 AWG wires, and the note at the bottom.

Quote:
240.4(D) Small Conductors. Unless specifically permitted in 240.4(E) or 240.4(G), the overcurrent protection shall not exceed 15 amperes for 14 AWG, 20 amperes for 12 AWG, and 30 amperes for 10 AWG copper; or 15 amperes for 12 AWG and 25 amperes for 10 AWG aluminum and copper-clad aluminum after any correction factors for ambient temperature and number of conductors have been applied.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm