Clean looking - user friendly inspection software

Hello All,
Any advice on a good starter software? I was eyeing palmtech recently, looks like a simple clean design. Also are inspectors still using paper reports in the field and then inputing at home with the collected photos? Instead of relying solely on software in the field.
I downloaded the Matrix parallel inspection forms which cover the whole inspection process, but they are copyrighted. I will use them for my mock inspections. Are there any PDF inspection forms for purchase that I can download to use in the field?
Thanks.

As a memeber, you have access to these in PDF and MS Word, Spanish, etc.

1 Like

Much appreciated Larry.

1 Like

Everyone’s process is different. Some rely solely on they mobile software and publish the report onsite, some use a point and shoot camera and do the report back in the office. I’m not sure anyone brings paper forms to an inspection. It would be good to not forget something, but it’s hard to forget something when you walk the entire property snapping photos of everything. Most may not get in the report. But following a mobile template for me just really drags the onsite inspection on longer than it should be. I just snap photos and move on, and write the report off site. It makes for a better more customized report. Also doing onsite reports only works good if you do not do extra services like drone, sewer scope, ir. It’s hard to get those photos into a mobile app.

2 Likes

Great advice William thanks a lot. What software do you use if you don’t mind me asking? As well when you started out did you follow a check list just to make sure you didn’t forget something?
I have residential building experience so I’m hoping this will help me identify things a bit quicker as I tour around when I eventually do an inspection.

One more thing if you don’t mind. You say you snap photos, do you also have a note pad or use your phone to take notes while you touring around? Thank you

I do not use a note pad. When I take a photo of let’s say a leaking water heater supply line. I see the defect in the photo. What note would I need to take? Before you walk into a bedroom I take a pic of me with a finger up like 1 for bedroom on. And so on. 2 fingers on an electrical panel indicating 200 amps. Things like that. Furnace and ac have data tags I take photos of those.
Anything you need to report on just take a photo. Very easy. And unless your memory is super bad you can remember all this for a couple hours.
I take 300 or so photos on site, about half go in the report.

I use HIP software. I am grandfathered in to use just their desktop software, you now have to pay a monthly fee for mobile and office.

Thanks William. I gather you take photos of all the components even if there aren’t any defects? I really like this way you do it. Less time inputting into software on site. And like you said if you’re using a drone for roof inspections downloading at home makes sense.
Much appreciated.

I was looking at EZ Home Inspection Software to start. Discount for InterNACHI members looks fairly basic no frills and the cheapest option.

I used EZ back in 2013 it is pretty basic. But it’s better now than it was back then. But if think now you need a monthly subscription just like the rest of them.
But with most software you can get a free trial to check them out. HIP is the most used as it has infinite customizeable reports. You can pretty much change everything in it to suit your needs and make it look how you like. Just remember you get what you pay for. I like HIP because it has a desktop program that is not online and they can not sell your clients info if they don’t have it. I use NXT Inspekt as my administration software for scheduling and such. They also don’t sell your clients info, they are both now owned by PORCH, but the integration is not in NXT Inspekt yet. It is in HIP office that’s why I don’t use it. But I don’t have to as I purchased HIP before it was a requirement. And I own it forever without a monthly fee. There are other forum topics on software you can look up. Some do not have any monthly fee but may cost a bit upfront to purchase. But it’s still cheaper in the end.

1 Like

Great info. Thanks again William.

My process does include written notes. Mostly referencing location such as which bathroom or which window had an issue. This is more important on larger homes. I also use a checklist for styles and materials. Such as vinyl siding, copper pipe, PVC vent pipe, ridge/soffit venting etc. I do this on all homes but I admit it is not really needed on smaller cookie cutter homes.

1 Like

Thanks Brian. Great info.

1 Like