We have some misinformation regarding conductor and breaker sizing going on over in the Emergency forum and it needs to be cleaned up.
I’m looking for some of our resident expert electricians to chime in and answer the following questions based on the attached A/C condenser label. Your responses will be helpful to folks who stumble upon the Emergency forum thread at http://www.nachi.org/forum/f79/undersized-wire-99204/#post1305367 for those who have access to the members only section.
For the label below, please answer:
- What is the smallest copper conductor size which can be used with this listed device?
- What is the largest breaker size that can be used with this listed device?
- Can the largest breaker size be used in combination with smallest conductor size for this listed device?
- Should an inspector who sees an installation using a 10AWG copper conductor attached to a 50Amp breaker identify this as a defect/fire hazard and call for repair by a licensed electrician?
- Please explain why for future inspectors who encounter this situation.