Clothes Washing Machine Drain

This washing machine in a condo complex drains into the bathroom sink drain like a dishwasher. No standpipe. Looks wrong to me but after looking around I found that “This setup is not recommended”. Under some circumstances( tub drain size, venting, etc…) it can be allowed. Any thoughts?

I believe the manufacturer’s drain size for a washing machine is 2".

3 Likes

That looks like a GE all-in-one washer/dryer, possibly a condensing unit (no vent).

Next time your on site with similar questions, look up the specs of whatever model installed, manufacturers list all kinds of specific details and requirements.

4 Likes

The purpose of the standpipe is to provide an air gap, which in this instance would help keep wastewater from a clogged drain backflowing into the clothes washer. The minimum height of a standpipe is 18" above the trap seal (maximum is 42"), so could probably squeeze one in there under the sink.

Thanks for the reply Dominic, I did look up the specs for this specific model and found the exact spec sheet you posted. This machine is a 2.4 Cu. Ft. front load washer with steam, nothing fancy. I was unable to operate the stop in the sink above where the washer is connected, it was stuck open. This makes sense now because that acts as the vent for when the washer drains. I did a short wash and it seemed to drain fine but this is still not an ideal setup. I am going to report like so :

I observed a defect at the standpipe at the clothes washer. It appears that the washer is connected to the bathroom sink drain. This issue could cause problems with the clothes washer when its draining and venting.

Sound about right?

I would say that the washer IS CONNECTED TO THE BATHROOM SINK DRAIN…not appears to be connected to the…

5 Likes

The washer drainline was improperly terminated into the bathroom sink drain. Recommend a qualified Plumbing contractor make corrections as needed.

4 Likes

A little too much CYA I suppose, right Larry? Short and simple, thanks Kevin.

2 Likes

My understanding is that these units use as little water as a modern dishwasher. The connection is similar to that of a dishwasher so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Except that the manufacture’s specs call out the correct method of connecting the drain, and that sink tailpiece setup isn’t it.

3 Likes