CMI 1000 Point System

I have a solution for verifying if the experience is of value. Put Gerry on staff full time and have him travel the country doing ride alongs with anyone that wants to obtain the title of CMI.

Greg,

Nice try…

How about having representatives (who will also be screened for the newly developed CMI qualifications) assigned to every State?

We have to start somewhere.

There must a number of highly experienced inspectors in most states that are NACHI members. These inspectors could be assigned areas of each state for ride along. The main problem there is cost how does NACHI find the money to pay them

I like the idea of a ride along verification system. It has
the merits of teaching, verification, and shows a real
intent to display meaningful confirmation.

If my suggestions are taken or not… it does not cause
in me a feeling of being rejected. If you step into the
arena of ideas then you will take some hits.

I posted comments a while back that were for improving
the CMI idea with requirements of experience. I do
not repeat everything Nick says just to go along.

CMI is an evolving idea that is coming into focus. Look
back at all your certifications in most trades or skills.
They almost always went through tweaks and changes
along the way (to make things better).

CMI is a good idea. The suggestions Nick is talking
about will only make it better. If anyone feels that
CMI should be improved, then why attack the ideas
of improving it? Anyone can sit around mocking
something and never add solutions. Its easy, and
makes them look “wise” without offering any real
solutions. Solutions are real wisdom and they are
harder to produce than mockings.

I like the idea of ride along verifications and would be
happy to help others or submit to this process. I
have built houses in my sleep… but I am not to proud
to submit to a genuine verification process for CMI
(now or in the future).

Yes, I am a CMI… and have been an inspector for
8 years in Texas and have 26+ years in construction
experience. I have been paid as a contractor for
building homes, remodeling and more… for many years.

I am not too proud to submit to any new requirements
that may be added to CMI if it will help me or others
verify their CMI certification.

In the end… CMI will only help the industry as it will
provide a goal oriented certification process that
promotes excellence among inspectors.

Anything can be punched at and mocked. We need
solutions to make things work properly. Nick has
a good idea IMHO. :wink:

John McKenna
American Home Inspection
http://texas-inspection.com

I think I have it fellas. Give me 5 minutes to figure out how to word it. I’ll start a new thread. I sure hope I get support for this new formula. I need to get back to sleeping nights.

This mirors my thoughts Greg.

What constitutes “performed correctly”?

What is correct?

According to whom?

Instead of 1,000 points it should 901 points. Of course I’m not serious but this is a puzzle. Anybody know why it should be 901 specifically? :-k There is a reason and you’ll know your correct when you think of it.:-;;

No one?

It seems to me that many professions award a designation upon successful completion of designated educational programs. MBA, Engineer, BSc. etc…and do not require experience.Education is the key. As stated in previous threads, if you keep doing it wrong, that is not quality experience. I am quite content to support the CMI as proposed with one exception. I think 400 hrs of education would be more appropriate. This course of action has two benefits. One- the obvious value increased education brings and two, it is difficult to attain that many hours of education without gaining some practical experience. I have been a HI for about two years and have over 600 hrs in education. The College level course I took for HI also involved practical exercises that would cumulatively amount to a dozen inspections. A proper education imparts on its participants the experience of many qualified professionals. Why learn from my mistakes when I can learn from others.Cordell DeckTECH 3 HI

Hi. Nick;

I might be out of line here and felt by some to be out of place, but that is OK, I have broad shoulders.

I have been monitoring most of these post on CMI and starting to wonder what the problem is.

The point system of 1000 points, I guess I do not qualify, because I only have 150 hours of education + 10 + 10= 180. Wow, I should not even be certified to be a Certified Home Inspector.!! All this tells me, is that it is flawed before it starts. It is kicking out some of the better parties due to circumstances.

Since most know where I come from, I will explain how one gets certified as a CMI;

Since I went to school of Hard Knox, it took me awhile to get there. I can not stress enough of the educational providers out there to educate our off-springs and the young crowd coming up the ranks. The problem is that everyone of the young siblings, as spoiled as they are want the pay that we are earning ourselves today. I have been in Construction for over 40 years and that does not compute.

(Experience) Big word, what does it mean? = A whole lot of mistakes.:slight_smile:

Experience + Education = 1000 Pts. That’s a better equation.

Would it be as simple to define experience as to answer why we have trades people out there in the Industry that are called;

Master Electricians
Master Plumbers
Master HVAC Mechanic
Master Auto Mechanic
Master Carpenter
Master Inspector (CMI)

and least but not least, Jack of all trades and Master of none.

Are we for a minute forgetting how these people got those titles?
Some maybe Masters, but are only Masters of Text, and have no clue as to how the work is actually installed and put together.

The reason I highlighted the master carpenter, is because everyone calls themselves a carpenter for the pay only and under the illusion that they are one.
Those are the selected few that believe know more than the supervisor and out there building and constructing on their own to make the fast bucks to pay off their credit cards. ha. ha.
Hey; Those are the ones that give us the work to inspect, right
Thanks for the internet explorer to pull their BS out of a bind.

Back to the subject, I believe Nick is on the right track to invent this title, but can only be achieved with all our inputs.

How do we achieve to add an experience level that is meaningfull and verifiable??

Big question.

First of all, you can not expect to have this level at 21 years of age.
Second, you cannot even think about it unless you have proven documentation of further education and experienced resume documented achievements.

Achievement documentation of the experience acquired is easily attained by any employer that you have worked for.
Achievements awarded in Education is as easily attainable.

Experience is very easy to learn if a student is willing to learn.
Shut the hell up, listen , watch, and ask questions.

Do all of the above and you maybe ready to inspect homes at age 35 if aggressive.

I deal with Architects and Engineers everyday and amazes me to see what they come up with sometimes.
The last job I did, I had what I call a picture. That’s alright, my father taught me how to deal with that. No problem.

To see objects and perspective view in your mind in three D might seem off the wall, but when educated the right way and taught from hands on experience, you learn to mentally adapt to this sense automatically.

So, is there a solution to this riddle?
Experience = 10,000 hrs min. + 2000 hrs. education min. + 200 inspections (Void) the 200 inspections might have been performed wrong since day one.

That might not be the answer unfortunately.

The testing portion and compilation of CE’s and Inspections performed might help, but being fluent in all the products standard of practice for installation, remedial modifications required to make correct, education in the History of past construction techniques and methods and why. History that everyone enjoys, I know I did in High School., yea right. :slight_smile:

Their is no Text Book out there that will convice me that a person has achieve the CMI designation.
Testing someone for CMI, how about asking questions out of text, and related to more of the circumstances that occur on the job on a daily basis?, OH I forgot, some and most have not been out there yet. A tally of all the occurrences of a daily job in the field will produce what a text took the time to go from copyright and publishing.
To learn something out of text and expect to go out there and Inspect, What!!

What do you do when you see something that was not in the text.???

When will someone out there, take the time to examine the everyday occurrences of creating this environmental stick built world to a text that people will learn something?? At that point maybe some will comprehend what they should be looking for and report in an intelligent manner and not look so foolish to be Politically correct.

Thanks,

Marcel

</IMG></IMG>