Cobra Ridge Vents

Originally Posted By: jmertins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just looking for peoples feeling on these types of vents. Has anyone seen them?

John Mertins

Baxter Home Inspections, Inc.

"Greatness courts failure"

Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

John:

Cobra Ridge Vents became very popular after Hurricane Andrew. What would you like to know?

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

I put it on my own house. Seems to work well enough but I thought it was a little pricey.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

jschwartz1 wrote:
John:

Cobra Ridge Vents became very popular after Hurricane Andrew. What would you like to know?

Do you guys really think they provide enough air ventilation from the attic? The ones on this house I was at were nothing different than those air filters that claim to be wash and reuse air filters for a HVAC unit. The way they were installed was laying down the material and simply ridge capping over it. Leaving only about a 1/4 inch or less of viable air flow. This did not seem right and the attic felt unusually warm for the day we were having.

--
John Mertins

Baxter Home Inspections, Inc.

"Greatness courts failure"

Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

John,

My personal opinion, I do not care for them. Nothing more than a more expensive way to build a roof. I personally would punch an attic vent in the side of the property before I would install a ridge vent. Remember that without proper soffit area, then the ridge vent in itself is pointless.

Do you have a picture of the install?

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Im not real impressed with the vent either. Then I am not real impressed with ridge vents period. I don’t know how many times I have found a new ridge vent without the opening being cut or the roofing felt covering the opening. I have a ridge vent on my own home and the attic temp was typically running about 140 degrees in the summers. I did what Jay said and put in two gable vents with a mechanical fan on an inline themostat and it now runs round 95 degrees. The excessive heat in the attics are what kills a roof. It literally cooks the shingles from the heat inside.

dedwards wrote:
Im not real impressed with the vent either. Then I am not real impressed with ridge vents period. I don't know how many times I have found a new ridge vent without the opening being cut or the roofing felt covering the opening. I have a ridge vent on my own home and the attic temp was typically running about 140 degrees in the summers. I did what Jay said and put in two gable vents with a mechanical fan on an inline themostat and it now runs round 95 degrees. The excessive heat in the attics are what kills a roof. It literally cooks the shingles from the heat inside.

Basically I explained that to the buyer how improper venting WILL shorten your roof life, WILL cause your HVAC unit to work harder, and promote less than ideal conditions for the house as a functioning unit. However, the house has it, it is working(somewhat) and will remain.

All that being said I think the Cobra gets a 2 out of 10 for ridge vent performance.

Thanks for your thoughts. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

dedwards wrote:
...put in two gable vents with a mechanical fan on an inline themostat and it now runs round 95 degrees.

Unlike a mechanical venting system, ridge vents are passive. If you are going to compare the two systems you have to factor in the electricy cost and maintance costs (bearings and other parts) etc. Are we trying to compare passive vs mechanical ssyems or are we comparing various passive systems?

If we are comparing various passive systems, I do like ridge vents systems.

The vent the entire lenght of the ridge so heat does not get trapped into the channels made by the rafters or trusses.

Ridge vents provide venting all the way to the peek unlike regular roof vents.

Any component, including ridge vents, can be installed improperly. Not really the fault of the product now is it.

Never seen wind driven snow blown in though my Cobra vent as I see with regular roof vents.

--

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Originally Posted By: lewens

Paul

I think this will also go the way of the Turbo Vent and the dodo bird

Just my 12.5 cents

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: Gordon McBride

Why are the shingles sliding off already?

I've got 23 buildings with new roofs. 3 tab 25yr shingles just install this year. The Cobra ridge vent system was used on all.
![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)
I was doing final walk today on a roof that passed final city inspection and found a four foot strip of ridge vent cap shingles blown off. We haven't had any bad storms yet. The nails were placed correctly but had pulled thru the shingles. After closer inspection I found more that had pulled thru. I seriously doubt they will hold up to the shingle rating of 110 mph winds. I always hod metal ridge vents before. What do you think went wrong?

Could the nails have been driven too far. The cobra systems comes with its own nails that have plastic spacers on the nails to stop them from being over driven. However, a heavy swing can either break the plastic or embed it into the sheathing with the rest of the nail. Also sometimes, for what ever reason, a handfull of the spacers are loose and not on the nails in the bag.

I would check if the plastic spacers were intact and performed their function on the affected shingles.

--

Paul Hinsperger
here !

I suspected the same. I thought there was probably spacers but was looking for confirmation. I’ll look to see if they even used them.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSCI0016.JPG ]

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Checked a few more roofs today and found more of the same. The cobra cap shingles were all gun driven using the coil nails provided in the cobra kit. I believe that the installers either didn’t use the self adheasive foam adapter or didn’t change it often enough once it had flattened out. The nails that had not pulled thru impacted the shingle hard enough to damage the shingle the same way hail does and would pull thru soon. Some nails were ok but not enough to hold in a wind.

The contractor as a settlement is now going back to every roof (39 roofs) and adding two 3" hand driven roof nails to each cobra cap shingle (without spacer).

I still don’t think cobra will hold up as well as my old alum ridge cap installed with galv deck screws with washers did in hurricane charlie.

I would recommend anyone using cobra to hire a certified home inspector.

I’ve got a pic of the coil nail used.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/Photo_052005_004.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Most quality builders here have gone back to using turbines for the upper roof ventilation.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

jonofrey wrote:
Most quality builders here have gone back to using turbines for the upper roof ventilation.

I would not have one they pull so much air out of the home in a wind that they take a lot of heat out in the winter. they tend to get noisy after a while they can leak snow . and do seize up . No love in our area for the turbines.
Roy Cooke sr Brighton Ont Canada.. Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

A properly sealed and insulated home is not going to leak very much heat to the attic.

Attic ventilation is meant to pull cold air in thru the low vents and push hot air out thru the top vents to keep the shingles from cooking the asphalt out. Goal is to maintain your attic as close as possible to the outdoor temperature.

If you're losing to much heat from the home in the winter, don't blame your attic ventilation system. Blame your crappy insulation and sealing job.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

How about the noise and they always get noisy and I guess snow is not to big a concern there like it is here.

Roy C sr

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

My post is not about turbine vents per se.

It's about loss of heat and purpose of attic ventilation.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Sorry I was just adding to the turbine they cause such a negitive pressure in the attice far more then convential ventilation the heat loss goes way up in my openion . I like ridge vents and soffit vents. Roy C sr.