Conditioned Crawlspace Graphic

Let me know if I need to tweak this.

3 Likes

The are a couple of ways to this for unvented crawls.
One of the requirements is lapped sides and seams…all sealed.

Vapor barrier is now referred to as Vapor Retarder.

1 Like

I think you got that backwards. It used to be called vapor retarder, but got changed to “barrier” because of PC. Actually, it looks like the wording got changed back to retarder??? Perhaps you are right

I’m seeing a few things missing at least from where I’m at. Maybe you guys do it differently or some things are difficult to show on graphic or just makes it more cluttered.

1. no termite inspection gap on the foundation wall between the top of the foam insulation and the sill plate.
  2. Graphic does not show piers and the vapor barrier or liner sealing around the piers.
  3. The interior grade of the crawlspace should be sloped to a low area with either a daylight drain or a sump pump discharging to the exterior.
  4. Supply air used as means of drying the closed crawlspace should have a damper that closes when HVAC is off to prevent pests/vermin from going into the ducts.
  5. Crawlspace door showing required insulation/weather-stripping.
  6. Air sealing all foundation wall/band joist/etc penetrations such as electrical, building drain/sewer, water line, etc
  7. house footing is missing perimeter drain tile.
  8. exterior foundation wall dampproofing
  9. Also, no return air is allowed to cycle back into the house, at least in my locale.

Here is what I’m working with
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/NCRC2018/chapter-4-foundations#NCRC2018_Pt03_Ch04_SecR409

1 Like

Thanks Randy!

2 Likes

Here is my latest revised conditioned crawlspace. See the codes referenced in the graphic for more options.

5 Likes

That is really nice Randy!!

2 Likes

Thanks again, Randy. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This will be useful, thanks Randy!

3 Likes

Awesome graphic! Re: an earlier post, It’s important to remember that not all buildings are built alike and just because you don’t see something, doesn’t mean it is required, or that it isn’t there necessarily.