Cored Brick - Pier Installation Question

Haven’t used it in 10 years. It’s all me baby!!

(Come to think of it, that’s about how old that pic is)! LOL.

Here’s a more recent one…

1 Like

Damn, you went grey and blind! Now those glasses are from the 70’s for sure.

1 Like

You should check out my 70s cop, mirrored driving shades. AWESOME!!

PS… only wear the glasses when doing reports. The monitor glare gets to me after a while.

If they don’t flip up, I’m not impressed.

Flip-up’s and clip-on’s are for fags!!

s-l300

Disclaimer: Not me.

1 Like

Disclaimer not needed Ned.

3 Likes

My father wore “stash” his whole life thru the decades, he claimed he was always either in fashion or ahead of fashion.

1 Like

If you want a mason’s opinion, it’s wrong. I know why they did what they did but it’s still wrong.

2 Likes

Cored brick and concrete masonry units are commonly used in structural applications the cores must be oriented vertically for strength. Depending on the structural design they may have horizontal or vertical reinforcing, filled cores, etc.

1 Like

James, could those cores be filled with NS grout to make a simple repair to in effect make them a solid brick?

Is it because the brick is taller on its side and they were trying to reach a specific height?

1 Like

Although the brick is oriented on edge, there is no way there would be enough weight above that pier to create any capacity overload.
Note it and forget it.

1 Like

Probably but unless there is a large point load on that column it is probably plenty strong enough. That being said, I’m not a structural engineer.

…until the room above gets converted to a full blown library with a Baby Grand placed above it, OR… converted to the “Hot Tub” room… and fails.

See ya in court!!

I still would not be worried about it. Do you know how much weight that floor can carry?

No. I wasn’t there to observe anything more than what was posted. Were you? I don’t care what design load may have been. What the actual load is with unknown deficiencies is anybodies guess.

There you go, you don’t have a clue. Residential framing is designed and built for a live load of 40# p.s.f… Your library would need a design floor load of 150 p.s.f…
And a floor system of 40# p.s.f. is more than adequate to handle a piano.
Judging from the distance of the pier and the outside wall in the pic, the tributary loading of that pier isn’t that great and nowhere near enough to collapse those core bricks that are all mortared together.
A standard hollow brick based on gross cross-sectional area is approximately 2190 psi, so one that is installed on edge, one could say it is half that.
So you are telling me that is going to collapse. Huh!

All I said in my post was to note it and forget it. You like to cover your ass over a friggin brick, go ahead.
Everyone is making a mountain over a molehill with the orientation of a few bricks.
I said I would not have a problem with this, because I know there is not enough loading to collapse those bricks.
I know they are wrong and if you wish to write it up as I said, that is perfectly fine, but recommend someone that knows what the hell he is looking at.

1 Like

How irresponsible of you to suggest to others to just “forget it” because you don’t think it worthy of a write up. Get off your high horse!!

Not irresponsible at all. What I said is to note it and move on or forget it.
If you don’t know any better, I do.
That is not what I said, but you are well known to put words in people’s mouths, aren’t you?
You always like to try and twist things around when you don’t agree.
So I’m going to leave it at that.

1 Like