Cracked Heat Exchanger

Not really true (as in anything that burns always produces Carbon Monoxide). But it is true that anything that burns CAN produce Carbon Monoxide.

My bad, I should have specified “gas furnace” because those are the ones that I know about and don’t know about wood, oil, coal or any other fuel mentioned.
Efficience has nothing to do with it, an older 60% efficient gas furnaces can have and do have complete conbustion and complete combustion = CO 2
I do know for a fact from experience a good clean burning gas furnace does not produce Carbon Monoxide unless something is wrong with it.

I have been checking every furnance I’ve serviced for many years now and anytime I find Carbon Monoxide readings within the flue or draft hood or in or around the furnace I find out why and repair it or shut it down.

That is in no way to say I’m making light of a cracked heat exchanger at all. When I find a cracked heat exchanger I always shut the furnace down imediatly, producing Carbon Monoxide or not, many are not but the potential is still there.

I’ve had homeowners relite and turn the furnace back on after I left and probably even called me a crook for fullfilling my obligation by shutting down their furnace but a least I can sleep at night knowing I did my part.

We file our customers by addresses (as well as by name and by phone number) and I’ve gone back a year or two later when the house had a new owner expecting to find a new furnace since I had been there and I see the previously history on our computer before going and found the same old furnace with the same cracked heat exchanger that I had shut down previously, now back in operation.
That’s usually when the new home buyer starts getting on the phone to the realtor about failure of disclosure.

I only tell that story to demonstrate that a cracked heat exchanger doesn’t necessarily always mean Carbon Monoxide.
Maybe I shouldn’t have even mentioned it since it’s relly a moot point anyway and besides I can’t say that the people living in the house haven’t been having too many headachs.

Again though, I think everyone knows a cracked heat exchanger certainly does mean danger and the furnace should be shut down ASAP even though it might be burning perfect at the time.

You’ll find a world full of chemists, including this one, who will disagree vehemently with you, and they have the chemistry theory and experimental data to back up their words.

Anything that burns and that is not 100% efficient in burning everything will, indeed, produce carbon monoxide (CO). That’s important to know because CO is dangerous. So once we acknowledge that fact, which, for some reason, you seem to be unable to do, we can continue to work on the burning process to control the amount of CO that is produced, either during the burn or after the burn.

Since incomplete combustion results from the lack of oxygen–ya just gotta have that oxygen to make the burn go–there won’t be enough oxygen molecules to attach to the carbon atom. Carbon naturally wants to make love with two oxygen atoms (carbon dioxide; CO2), so if there ain’t enough oxygen atoms (incomplete combustion), one will, indeed, get carbon monoxide (CO).

We could always hook up the furnace to an oxygen bottle; that might work. However, that would also be prohibitively expensive, especially since we can get oxygen free from the air around us. The mere fact that the air around us simply doesn’t provide enough oxygen molecules to burn anything 100% means that CO will be produced.

So one can solve the problem by continuing to add oxygen, even after the burn, so that, ultimately, the CO can get that second oxygen atom that it’s looking for. However, that is exactly the reason why CO is so dangerous. Notwithstanding the fact that CO is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, the best place to get that second oxygen atom is your lungs as you breathe. You have oxygen in your blood, and that CO as you breathe it in will attach to those oxygen molecules, basically strangling you from lack of oxygen. Once all the oxygen in your blood has decided to create a love triangle with the CO couple, there is no more free oxygen in your blood and, yep, you guessed it, you’re dead.

Stating that properly operating furnaces don’t produce carbon monoxide is a dangerous, perhaps even irresponsible, statement. Stating that a properly operating furnace controls the amount of carbon monoxide emitted/detectable is a much better statement.

Well I’m sure in the name of safety it’s best that everyone does believe that all furnaces do produce CO even though it’s really MOSTLY CO2 so I won’t keep arguing the point after this.

I think because I don’t count 4-6 ppm as is actually producing CO is where the difference probably lies.

What I think is humourous is for someone not in the industry to try to make me believe that all my expensive CO detectors I’ve had in the last 41 years were wrong when they show readings too low to even show any ppm when the readings were taken directly inside the flue pipes.
Also I have been in many houses where there was NO flue pipe at all connected with all the flue products dumping into the house and there were NO side effects.
In fact most of the times the people weren’t even aware of the fact.
Only a small percentage of the folks intentionally connected a gas heater and left off the flue pipe.

When I’ve tried to explain how dangerious the situation is and how Carbon Monoxide is a deadly poisonous orderless gas, some have said “my gas oven doesn’t have an exhaust pipe so what’s the difference” Or “how come were not dead then, it’s been that way for …?”

Anyway, you are right 3-4 ppm IS Carbon Monoxide so I won’t say anymore.

Perhaps. And that’s where the danger comes in, as well. The sick, the elderly, the newborn, and others can be affected greatly by low carbon monoxide levels, especially over the long term. Carbon monoxide is not something to take lightly or dismiss summarily.

You make some bold presumptions. That, also, can be dangerous. Nonetheless, one does not need to be in the heating industry in order to understand carbon monoxide. In fact, unknowing people in the heating industry might do a greater disservice to that industry than someone outside the industry who understands carbon monoxide. Chemists also probably have a good understanding of carbon monoxide, how it is produced, and its effects. And a chemist with experience in the heating industry has two things going for him over some unknowing person.

Hopefully you were able to explain it to them intelligently, which you have not done here.

I’m by no means an expert, but from my chemistry classes in college and (dare I say) high school, complete combustion can only be achieved in OPTIMUM conditions. Unless in a laboratory setting… where there’s flame, there’s INCOMPLETE combustion and thus Carbon Monoxide regardless of the levels.

From Biology classes… CO attaches to red blood cells (hemoglobin to be exact) much easier and more efficiently than Oxygen does, and when attached will actually prevent Oxygen from attaching, and stays attached longer…hence the health hazards… you are effectively suffocating without the choking sensation. It will take higher levels to affect a healthy adult, but children and elderly are at greatest risk. Without a CO detector installed in the home, one is playing Russian Roulette. It happened in this area at least 5 times this heating season, 3 of them from faulty heating sources. When you begin to feel the effects, it can often be too late.

:roll:
I just love that one Tell that to the families who lost loved ones this season. :frowning: Their heating sources were that way for years as well. And their Dad ran that generator in the garage like that for years also.

If it’s been that way for years then you’re either ignorant or love to gamble with your lives.

I’m with Russel on this. It may have low levels or non-measurable levels of CO today, but what about tomorrow or the next day, or next year? I will always recommend a CO dector with ANY fuel burning appliance in the home. Even if it is top of the line and installed as I was inspecting. I’ll let someone else put a gaurantee that complete combustion is taking place 100% of the time.

An excellent site that explains this about indoor air quality and physiology of CO in the blood stream http://www.nutramed.com/environment/monoxide.htm

Looking at the previous 2 pics, I don’t see the cracks. Please point out where to look;-) .

One my second day on the job as a plumbing apprentice I went to a call with my boss on a furnace. The heat exchanger was cracked and the home owners were hospitalized for a week luckily with full recovery. The CO2 reading was way off the charts.