Furnace Problem

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

About 15 minutes after testing the A/C, I tested the furnace. As soon as the burners kicked in, all of the smoke detectors in the house (eight to be exact) started blaring icon_eek.gif

They were smoke detectors only (without CO detection) but there was plenty of CO pumped into the home as evident from everyone and their watering eyes and coughing . The smell was horrendous.

A cracked heat exchanger is the obvious guess. Any other ideas?

I still have a headache.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dspencer

Probalby the HE, is the furnace a 90 plus? How old is furnace?

dspencer wrote:
How old is furnace?

1979 according to the dataplate.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dspencer

I’ve seen dead mice on HE cause this.

It didn’t smell like a barbecue icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Sure sounds like it. Was the house vacant or occupied? Leave a note at the thermostat to not operate until full evaluation by heating contractor. Which way did you go with it Jeff?

Adam, A Plus

It’s vacant. I turned the fuel supply off and recommended an HVAC tech for further eval.

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: cbottger

Jeff

Just remember CO is colorless orderless and tasteless and does not set off smoke detectors. You made the right statement call a Hvac Tech. As it is impossible to trouble shoot over the phone or a message board.

Thank you for your help the other night.

--
Don't argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I had that happen once and the HVAC tech said it was from accumulated dust on the HE from lack of use.

Originally Posted By: dhadler

Jeff:

This ones been racking my brain ever since you posted it. I agree with Charley about the likelihood of CO...watery eyes, setting of the smoke detectors et. just doesn't add up to that. I was thinking more along the lines of some wiring or a transformer that was burning out. These can give off a nasty odor and burn the eyes, then I re-read your post and noticed it was right after the AC test...is it possible that the AC line or evaporator coil sprung a good sized leak and the oil dripped down onto the heat exchanger.

Then when you fired it up the almost invisible smoke would have set off the detectors and caused the burning in the eyes???

This is just a shot in the dark, but I'm dying to figure this one out. Any experts out there that can verify any of this or am I just piss'n in the wind ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Make sure to let us know the outcome Jeff. I'm getting a head-ache just thinking about this one, and I wasn't even there

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA

bwiley wrote:
I had that happen once and the HVAC tech said it was from accumulated dust on the HE from lack of use.

I considered that as well Blaine. I ran the A/C for several minutes which would (I would think) blow off most of the excess dust.

It was just a bad deal - embarrassing - everybody "evacuated" like I was burning down the house ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

All that dust might have slammed the coil, Jeff. It is embarassing, I had 11 people in the house when it happened to me. A forclosure, and both reators, the buyers, mom and dad on each side, uncle was a plumber, cousin, etc.

But you just laugh about it later!! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Jeff

Was this furnace a upflow or downflow

Without observing this furnace which is not going to happen as it is in ca. and I am retired and don't care to ever see the internal working of a furnace again unless it should be my own.

Depending on the flow of air the only logical answer to the smoke from the HE would be high accumulation of dust/lint such as running the blower with out a return air filter or depending on the arrangement of the unit up or downflow I have observed insulation that was installed to the inside of a plenum with glue and simply fall off with time and get down on top of the HE you stated that this was a 79 model

--
Don't argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: rhinck

How about a blocked flue?

Rick

Originally Posted By: Gary Reecher

Bringing a CO experts or the National Comfort Institutes NSI3000 and placing on a table might be a good idea when you forget to bring in your CO sniffer.

You can get the CO Experts at Aeromedix http://www.aeromedix.com/ individually.

or Oil Tech Talk at
http://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com/members/index.cfm and only by the case.

The NSI3000 can only be gotten through National Comfort Institute they sell only to heating contractors and those that have gone through their CO/Combustion Efficiency Training seminar. I don't know if they will sell to home inspectors, but you could try. They are at http://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com

Jeff did you test for ambient co level?

This is a hard call. Could be that a/c drain is plugged and after running a/c for 15 minutes that the a/c drain pan could have overflown dripping water onto heat exchanger. If this overflow condition has been happening for a length of time the heat exchanger maybe rusted through at the top or along the sides.

Would defintely stipulate that this furnace be thorughly inspected by a heating contractor. Do you home inspectors sub contract the heating and a/c portion of your inspection to a heating contractor that you are comfortable with?

Am not looking for a job just curious.

--
Gary Reecher, CM
HVAC Service Technician

MechAcc's Carbon Monoxide Site Links

Gary

HI’s do not perform maintenance nor perform any subcontracting duties.Its against the law in my state.

I quite frequently get asked "Who do you recommend" I get around that question by simply stating who not to use in a particular trade and I base that statement on who performs the worst installation. When I observe poor craftsmanship and no pride in the work performed I make a point to find out what company did the work and always recommend not to use them.

--