Cultler-Hammer ground to neutral bar bond

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey sparkies,

I inspected a new Cutler-Hammer panel today and I did not observe a ground bar to neutral bar bond.

It seems to me that a bond in this instance is required. What say you?

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/MVC-012F.jpg

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey John

If that box is a second tier unit being fed from a service entrance panel then a bonding strap to the neutral bar is not used. Per Cutler-Hammer.

If its the service entrance then the bonding strap must be used.

The service cables are entering at the lower left corner. Is there another box to the left? Overhead or underground system?

If Im wrong, please zap me a good one. I have a similar install in my house. Underground feed with exterior service box, CH box installed in basement. Bonded at the exterior service box. My electrician said that's the way it should be done.

Paul

Paul,

That's the main panel. The feeds coming from the lower left are directly from the meter can. UG service to the meter.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: nlewis

John,

The flat black plastic covered bar that runs behind the main breaker bonds the neutral to the ground bus. Next time look at the diagram and it will show the bond between the two.

Neal,

Thanks. I looked at the label on the panel and all I could see was that the bond was required. I appreciate the guidance.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: sam jones

John:

Your neutral and ground bonding could have occurred outside in the meter pedestal. Check for a ground rod and trace the wire if you find one.
Have seen this before...

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Sam,

Neal's assessment is correct. As to bonding outside of the panel, this is only true if this panel was being fed as a sub, perhaps with a main service disconnect elsewhere. In that case, neutral and ground would not be bonded; neutral would be required to float. If not, then to my knowledge, the two must be grounded within the panel itself.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: sam jones

Joe, of course your both right. I should clarify a little here. In some locals it was legal, or used to be for the power co. to bond inside the pedestal and and still treat yout service panel as a service entrance as long as it was within six feet of the pedestal outside. This I thought made the panel inside the house a subpanel but I was told not in this case. The power co where I live no longer does this because like you say the disconnect should be outside and now my inside panel is a subpanel with isolated neutrals and grounds. I prefer to see and make that bond myself. To this day I thought that information I got from this guy was wrong. Later in my area after rechecking codes I found the six foot rule was there, but if the distance was over six feet then the disconnect would be outside. In my case I was looking for a bond to and we found it outside in the pedestal, but I dont like that setup at all. Thanks Sam