Discounted E&O from FREA

Originally Posted By: Chris Butler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Dear Mr. Schwalbe,

I am sorry to hear that you felt that I was blowing off the value of the test that NACHI offers for their membership, as I never referred to NACHI’s test as a joke. But to each his own and perception is everything. But FREA’s requirement (which is dictated by the carrier) is that you go to an inspection school and be trained in Home Inspection before we can underwrite you into the program and accept you based on the requirements of FREA and the carrier.

As a solution to your problem, I gave you the name of Allen Insurance and Bob Pearson who could potentially underwrite you. Tell me the last time a company referred you or anyone for that matter to the competition. Based on your construction trade experience as you had indicated in our conversation I then referred you to Bob at Allen. This is the requirement that Allen has and also requires (I believe) that you belong to a nationally recognized association or state association. His reasoning is that you are then getting continuing education credits, now I do not know if he recognizes NACHI or not - you’ll have to share that with the rest of the NACHI group or have Nick take it up with Bob if they do not.

So I am sorry that I offered a solution to your situation, as we were unable to potentially underwrite and insure you under the current experience that you have.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

(former) Director of Membership @ FREA

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

What I am upset about is you said this insurance would be available to all nachi members You could save a lot of people including yourself a lot of time if you started a new post outlining the exact requirements to clear up all of this confusion.

Thank You.

Originally Posted By: sbonilla

Hello to all

I am located in Bakersfield, Ca. although California has no insurance requirements, i truely understand the need for E&O insurance. Will there be any one insurance company that i can contact to get E&O insurance at a reasonable rate?. Thank you for any information you can provide.

SETH

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

tschwalbe wrote:
What I am upset about is you said this insurance would be available to all nachi members You could save a lot of people including yourself a lot of time if you started a new post outlining the exact requirements to clear up all of this confusion.

Thank You.

Todd:

Chris had posted in the past that the FREA policy is available to all NACHI inspectors that have attended a formal training program.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: hnelson

Chris Butler wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,
a tremendous amount of you have been asking for some type of discount on Professional E&O from any of the providers listed on the NACHI site. So I wanted to update all of you on the ongoing discussions that have taken place between Nick and I on this issue over the recent months. FREA is willing to offer some form of discounted E&O for NACHI members in the United States that have completed 200+ inspections and have attended a formalized Home Inspection training program, due to the professionalism of you the members and the standards by which you practice. Nick and I are very close to finalizing the agreement between FREA and NACHI for all of you interested in lowering your insurance rates. Stay tuned for follow-up information to this next week.
Sincerely,

Mr. Nelson,

you paraphrased a comment from earlier this year which I have explained thoroughly throughout this thread.

If you have any questions, I will be in the office all week.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Chris,

Do you offer a higher deductible - lower premium option?

Thanks

Erol Kartal
ProInspect Inc.

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Chris, I will be completing my 200th inspection sometime this month. I have completed formal training. On this forum, please tell me what my rate would be for E&O, and what exactly will be the discount. Thanks, I think many are interested in what the answer will be.

I'll tell you what, bundle it up with GL. What would be my annual premium?

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jcampbell

Chuck,

I've noticed the nailing down a premium is like hitting a moving target. There are several riders you can expect with FREA e & o, GL is one... the last I saw was 450.00. Here is what is off their website... pre-discount:

Prices/Membership Fees Coverage Type
Level A Level B Level C Candidate
E&O $3295 $2995 $2795 $3550
Corporation $330 $300 $280 $330
General Liability $450 $450 $450 $450
WDI/WDO $250 $250 $250 $250
Radon $150 $150 $150 $150
5K Bond $75 $75 $75 $75
10K Bond $135 $135 $135 $135

note there is a fee of 350.00 if you chose to go with installment plan...

http://www.frea.com/

--
Jeffrey S. Campbell
http://www.maineshomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Thanks Jeff, but I was wanting to know what the discounted cost was.

Chris please put together a basic package with the NACHI discount and post the cost here, thanks.

1 Inspector
E&O
GL

--
NACHI MAB!

In response to Erol - no we do not offer another deductible.

In addition to Jeff’s post which is great by the way on the numbers…

Thanks!

The cost for E&O to NACHI members are as follows:

Level A - $2,995.00

Level B - $2,695.00

Level C - $2,525.00

Candidate - $3,550.00 (for inspectors that have completed under 200+ inspections)

If you have had E&O coverage for your 1st year with someone else and have completed less than the 200+ inspections - you are still eligible for Level A, B or C.

The best thing to do is call me to rate you personally. As you might choose optional coverages like GL, WDO/WDI, Radon, etc.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

Originally Posted By: Guest

So, for the majority of NACHI members (under 200 inspections) there is no discount.

For the others there is a minimum discount of 3% and a maximum discount of 6%?

Originally Posted By: Guest

Quote:
gromicko wrote:
The whole E&O discount thingie is a big project.

We had to have an exam that weeds out 1/2 the inspectors. Done.
We had to have an iron clad pre-inspection agreement. Done.
We had to rewrite our Standards of Practice. Done.
We had to get an attorney on board. Done.
We had to gather data for the underwriters with an online survey. Done.
We had to get an agent hold harmless agreement. Done.
We had to start an arbitration service. Doing.

Finally we have a few companies realizing its very profitable to write E&O insurance for NACHI members. We'll get E&O insurance premium discounts because as NACHI, we deserve to pay less than other home inspectors. The savings should be about 4 times our membership dues. But like all the many many member benefits that came before, it takes a lot of work and time. Canada was even harder still.

If the President of ASHI is truly a smart business man he'll send in his NACHI application for this one member benefit alone. icon_smile.gif We're making it mathematically stupid not to join NACHI.

Nick

Is 200.00 dollars 4x membership dues?
Does every major association get the same deal? Was the terminology based on ASHI's standards? [/quote]

Originally Posted By: cbutler

Dear Mr. Fabry,

your post on the 3% - 6%…

I have no idea where that information is from. As it does not concern us or is that the discount for NACHI members.

Item #2 - the stuff you cut and pasted that Nick quoted was about a program that he was working on with a company earlier this year and was not with us. So the $200.00 x 4 thing does not apply as well.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify our program with NACHI.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

Director of Membership

FREA

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

Mr. Butler, you have the patience of a saint !!

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: patria

Chris Butler wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,
a tremendous amount of you have been asking for some type of discount on Professional E&O from any of the providers listed on the NACHI site. So I wanted to update all of you on the ongoing discussions that have taken place between Nick and I on this issue over the recent months. FREA is willing to offer some form of discounted E&O for NACHI members in the United States that have completed 200+ inspections and have attended a formalized Home Inspection training program, due to the professionalism of you the members and the standards by which you practice. Nick and I are very close to finalizing the agreement between FREA and NACHI for all of you interested in lowering your insurance rates. Stay tuned for follow-up information to this next week.
Sincerely,

Originally Posted By: cbutler

The cost for E&O to NACHI members are as follows:

Level A - $2,995.00 Level A…$1,000,000 Coverage Limit

Level B - 2,695.00 Level B.... 500,000 Coverage Limit

Level C - 2,525.00 Level C... 300,000 Coverage Limit

Candidate - $3,550.00 (for inspectors that have completed under 200+ inspections) $500,000 Coverage Limit

If you have had E&O coverage for your 1st year with someone else and have completed less than the 200+ inspections - you are still eligible for Level A, B or C.

The best thing to do is call me to rate you personally. As you might choose optional coverages like GL, WDO/WDI, Radon, etc which have additional costs associated with each.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

(Former) Director of Membership @ FREA

chris_butler32@yahoo.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Chris,

It was nice meeting you at the Convention. I'll be contacting you shortly.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the coverages that Chris B. has just posted, here are the liabilities (in order) for E & O.

Level A....$1,000,000
Level B......$500,000
Level C......$300,000

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

Chris,

I have just received the renewal for my E&O insurance. The cover page said there was no longer any discounts due to rising cost of insurance. My question is does this include the NACHI discount of 10% mentioned in this thread???????? Wanted to know before renewal. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

bump