Dish and clothes washer inspections

Thanks Nick… I see where testing clothes washing machines are not within the scope. Also not testing the connections to these devices for obvious reasons. I would place a dish washing machine in the same category as the drain line is not a hard connection in any manner. I nice service for our clients but a way to get in deep water in my opinion that’s just not worth it…

Might be a reason they call your competition as well.

Hey Bob, thanks for the insights however everything you mention is verifiable through a visual inspection in most cases. Providing you are experienced enough to see what are obvious defects. As to the 12v puck light, you might have to also understand that there are 110v versions available now that do not require a transformer. To protect ourselves is why we have a pre-inspection agreement to start the dialogue with a customer. If I were to comment on the type of screws used to hang a cabinet, it might be over the top for most of my clients and me as well.

Yes sir as required by our SOP!

…and yes, if I see drywall screws anchoring kitchen cabinets, the potential buyer is going to know about it.

Jeff

I do not recommend hiding behind paperwork to protect you.
Just do the best job you can for the client.
If not looking or ignoring items works for you then at least let me cross my fingers for you.
When you love what you do it is about can over can not.
Sorry to lecture but that’s how I honestly feel.

Everything is T and M

Too much time? Charge more money.

They will remember your work well past the the extra cash.

I wear dingy clothes to the inspection and strip down to my shorts to test the clothes washer for the inspection.
Make sure you wear black silk boxers so anal leakage marks aren’t noticeable.
Clients love it, especially the older ladies!!!:wink:

For those who run a dishwasher through a cycle, what if the dishwasher is full of dishes, clean or not. Do you still run it?

I do indeed! Assuming its conveyed with the property of course…

Sorry Thomas, I don’t understand.

If it is part of the sell of the home.

Yes, what I generally do is if the home owner is present I’ll ask them to activate and run a cycle for me to verify operation, and if home owner is not present I will then do a visual then run a quick cycle to verify operation.

I run the dishwasher, and clothes washer and dryer. If there are clothes in the washer/dryer I do not, run it or remove clothing.

Hi Jim,

When you do an inspection you should check with the realtor which appliances are “conveying” with the property sale. In other words, the sellers may not be leaving the washer and dryer for the buyers, they may be taking them to their new residence. If that is the case then there is no need to inspect them.
Make sense?

Thanks Thomas. Never heard the phrase “conveying with the property” before.