Do I or Don't I?

Originally Posted By: Dan Garvin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Not sure on whether or not to pursue getting into this Industry. Background is 27 years in the Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing design/operations and last 5 years in heavy commercial office building development in the Wash. DC market. Specialized in quality control/commissioning designing of projects. Tired of the rat race, kids are just about out. Any thoughts from you professionals out there???

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Looking over past and current topics…attention to detail appears to get one a reputation when the “self serving” individual is affected in a negative way (i.e., delaying a sale). I guess the “rat race” follows you everywhere. I was hired by the owner of my firm to eliminate his risk on development projects…it appears some “back pedaling” may be in order in this Industry.

Or am I reading too much into it…the inspection process and do’s and don’ts appear fairly obvious…you perform to what you are hired to perform…not being “Biased” one way or the other

Originally Posted By: gbell

I would say that one important ingredient is the ability to sell yourself. That talent is just as important as your inspection skills.

Just my two cents,

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

Dan,

I wish we would have met online sooner. You just missed the MD Chapter meeting that we had last Tuesday. I can tell you that this is a great and yet frustrating business to get into. If you would like to get together and chat sometime let me know.

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Greg,

Thanks for the advise....I agree 100%..need to do that on a daily basis in most trades when dealing with the public...

Gary,

I think I'll take you up on your offer..dgarvin@driinc.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dan,

Biased? Sure you should be biased toward the interests of your client!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: rray

jhagarty wrote:
I don't remember who offered this comment previously:

"Home Inspectors do not kill deals. Homes sometimes Kill themselves."

I think it was me, Joe. You may feel free to use it as you see fit. I educate Realtors with that little paragraph on about 5% of my inspections, I think. I also had one Client ask me some very intelligent questions about whether or not I would be concerned about "killing the deal" so that the Realtor didn't get his commission. Of course not was my reply. He liked my answer and my conversation with him was quite fun, and he was not a competitor shopping my services because he scheduled the inspection then and we met him a couple days later when we inspected his new place.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.