Do you inspect fences?

Do you inspect fences? According to IntN SOP, you’re not required to.

What if it is attached or at least close to a house? What if it adversely affects the house in some way? What if it is slipping or falling over? What if it’s in relation to pool safety? What if the gate has corroded-damaged hinges? What if your client requests that you check the fence out? What if it has hail damage? What if it is part of a surface drainage concern?

fence-1.jpg fence-2.jpg

fence-hail-damage.jpg

fence-hail-damage.jpg

I would think it is all part of the exterior inspection Ben.

Nice to see the Silt Fence, :wink: It is considered a fence right.?

I don’t typically inspect fences but if there are situations present like you describe, then yes.

Ditto.

After submitting my answer I realize that I have pointed out fence damage on a subdivision home. I am from Texas and when I think fence I automatically think ranch. For that I would charge a fee.
G

I always wondered what those were for.

But unless one does commercial inspection, I have never seen them on residential site.

Only when it is required as an enclosure or barrier, or when it’s condition/location/absence poses a potential safety hazard.

1 Like

Yes and use it as a mktg point when talking to a lead since in TX it is not required by our SOP.

Silt fences are being used in residential construction on single family lots more and more in florida. On an existing house they may be used if there is lot reconstruction or landscaping projects underway. They may be used if near a wetland or other body of water, (lakes, canal, bays, etc…) it depends on the jurisdiction.

I am also a FDEP “Qualified Stormwater Management Inspector”

Along with a pile of firewood or any other potential source of WDI damage, I would recommend that it be removed. As to the fence, itself, I do not inspect it or include it in my report.

In Colorado, it could take you 4 days and a good horse to inspect some fences.

:mrgreen: Nick, I don’t think we are talking about a fence surrounding a spread like yours. :wink:

By the way, is the good side of the fence facing your neighbor?:stuck_out_tongue:

I just look for obvious deferred maintenance

Out west we have vehicles Nick ,probably take 10 minutes tops.:smiley:

Who inspects this fence?

http://blog.stevenjlemieux.com/split.jpg

Nick,

Is this fence in your backyard?

I had a friend down here that had 7 1/2 miles of perimeter fence and no telling how much cross fencing. So I know what you mean about the horses. Little place 530 acres…
G

"Who inspects this fence?"

The ‘Minute Men’?

I comment on one aspect of fence inspections and why in my old NACHI.TV inspection tips and techniques segment.

Does anyone remember WHY I specifically included a wooden fence, and under what conditions?

This is not a quiz, nor primer for a new book, blog, video, or course;-)

Yes, WDO and if attached to the structure and infested we must consider the fact that the structure is also infested.