Doing Damage During an Inspection: It's your Job

Opening and closing shutoff valves and diversion valves is a grey area…

Wait what? Does your SOP really allow that?

Regardless of the SOP, what if a faucet doesn’t leak unless it’s turned on? What if hot has very low flow but cold is fine? What if the drain is slow? Whole bunch of reasons to turn on every faucet you can reach.

So is the tenant is doing part of your inspection for you? Do you also ask them to tell you if the heat works in every room?

That implies you’re might be missing 10% of the issues. I must be missing something because that is a truly baffling procedure. Doesn’t make one bit of sense.

1 Like

Because some of those inspections happen under the local ordinance for occupied units that are not for sale. The NACHI SOP does not apply.

Please point out that section of the SOP.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know what that means. But to me it’s irrelevant, never mind any ordinance or SOP. If you’re not turning on faucets you’re not inspecting sinks.

4 Likes

Your correct Ken, just found this a few days ago. Came off in my hand.
DSC08004

2 Likes

Absolutely correct. Yesterday, from one sink I found three defects:

Drain pipe leak.
Slow drain.
Low flow on the hot side when two or more fixtures operated.

I needed water to make these observations.

Not to mention, it is a good idea to run enough hot water to give the water heater a workout. Especially if it is gas.

2 Likes

Electric as well. A short run of hot water from an electric water heater won’t reveal a burnt out element. Had it happen where the element was not only burned out, but turned off at the thermostat. Water was hot initially, but the next day during a shower would not recover.

2 Likes

8000sf 3.2million dollar house this morning… seller was super nice but as he was leaving, pointed out many pieces of his art were worth over 100K!!! “So, please be careful.” Well, shit… I would have been fine if I didn’t know that! (fwiw, I must have too much white trash in me… I couldn’t see spending 1/1000 that much for something to hang on my wall). IMG_0084
IMG_0085
IMG_0086

1 Like

I just don’t get the whole art thing. I see art in everything.

I’ll tell you a funny story. The two dumbest things ever. The second dumbest thing you’ll ever here is that some guy drove 4 hours to buy this piece of art that I created: 51 Ford Truck Man Cave Art – Nick Gromicko

When he got to my house, he loved the thing so much, he offered my $5K cash for it.

That’s the second dumbest thing you’ll ever hear.

And now for the dumbest thing you’ll ever hear…

I turned him down.

LOL

4 Likes

Damn, Nick! Not quite my style, but that’s really cool. Bravo.

Had a faucet that leaked just today. Didn’t leak below the sink but at the top gushed. Sloppy inspecting to ignore!

1 Like