Double taped electrical panel

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Kevin

Please show a picture or better describe the problem.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Kevin.

On your computer, rename the file "Picture015" or "Picture_015" Then upload it again. It'll show up.

You have a space in the file name "Picture 015". Get rid of it and your upload will show.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

kluce wrote:
How would you write up in a report if the main breaker is double taped? The second pair of wires went to a sub panel in the garage which was fused properly.

"Two wires on one non-rated breaker at main electrical panel (or service equipment , for Jerry Peck ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ). This item is a safety hazard - correction is needed. Recommend evaluation and repairs by a State licensed contractor."

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

E-mail the picture to me at erby@b4uclose.com. I’ll take a look at it & try to upload it.

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

jpope wrote:
Recommend evaluation and repairs by a State licensed contractor."

That's what was written on the report.

I was trained by ASHI books when I first started and it says in ASHI electrical section that "Some electrical inspectors will allow double taps if wires are the same size and if the connection looks good. As inspectors, you should always note double taps. Explain that some authorities will accept this situation, but suggest that they have it checked out. Speak to your local utility, inspectors and electricians to see what their position is." Of course that's ASHI talking.

Is there a breaker that informs us that it can have two wires at one connection? This subject always gave me a hard time trying to justify having an electrician come out to evaluate this type of situation.

Too many towns together around here, too many different codes. 5 minute drive in any direction and I can be 7 towns. Each town enforces different codes.

Don't even as me how many towns I could get to in 15 minutes. ![eusa_doh.gif](upload://has2a0g32D0AAlDjAwVcrg3HnhX.gif)

Going to try that picture again.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Double taps are a safety hazard, especially on the main lugs … good call … eusa_clap.gif

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=927

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ok,

I don't see anything wrong with double taping? or did you mean double tapping? Come to think of it, I don't believe there is anything wrong with single taping! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Just pulling your leg, double tapping is a no no, unless the lug is rated for it!

You would be amazed at how much one letter can really screw up what you are trying to say, especially when you write it in a report! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

tap! If, as you said, this is going to a “sub-panel,” there is no over-current protection provided for the load side equipment at the service equipment. icon_eek.gif

It also looks like the neutral lug is double tapped. Basically the entire service equipment panel was bypassed with these connections.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: mbailey

That would be an excellent photo for NACHI’s new web gallery of photos…

http://www.nachi.org/gallery/

Mark Bailey

Stonegate Property Inspections LLC

Ponca, NE

Where are our resident sparkies or engineers when we need them? eusa_think.gif

Mr. Parks. . . Mr. O'Conner. . . Mr. Badger. . . any of you have some additional info for us?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Kevin,

How the hell can a licensed electrician tell you that an "uninterruptable double tap" on the SE was correct. Is he feeling OK?
Just tell him to write "his opinion/evaluation" out on the bill and hand it to the client for her records. That way everyone's covered.

He will not write this up as "SAFE". Guaranteed. Unless of course, he needs HELP.
![](upload://AlUHl1yNJO2p2rkgcbpKl0yXapS.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

If the client asks you about it, it’s a simple answer. “Tell the electrician to put it in writing, I did.”

roconnor wrote:
Double taps are a safety hazard, especially on the main lugs ... good call ... ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=927

Was the call from the "electrician" who installed the work, because that might make sense ... it's also not clear if this "electrician" was licensed, because there was a reference to having it checked out by a licensed electrician.

But what are you going to do ... argue safety/code provisions with an electrician? I agree with Dave. I would ask the electrician to put it in writing, and make sure it's from a licensed electrician and clearly states it's not a safety concern and is completely acceptable. You should also ask if there is an electrical inspection certificate that covers that work from the local building/electrical official, and ask to get a copy of that. Things might change pretty quick.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

“Mr.”

Boy have I moved up in the world.

I did not see the picture until now.

Not good. Excellent call to have an electrician look at this.

Mike P.

PS

Even if it was legal the breaker is NOT rated for two conductors.

And tell him an ESI looked at this installation.

If you like, I have a copy of a Homeowner Wiring Guide from a neighboring states Board of Electricity in PDF format. Based on the NEC which your state follows. Very simplified (6 pages) with all the major safety/code issues, and it clearly states the one wire per terminal rule. Send me an email if you are interested … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Originally Posted By: Dave Nix

Hi Everyone, nice forum!

The photo shows two code violations. The first, double conductors under each lug and the second is that they are on the LINE side of the main breaker. This is never permitted.

The second set of conductors is feeding a panel (guessing) somewhere else. This means that the conductors have NO over current protection. This is a fire hazard as well as a code violation in all of the states.

--
Dave Nix
Electrical Matters

Hey Dave … welcome to the board! It really is a great board. Mostly for HI’s, but also about helping to keep people safe and most areas are open to everyone! Very straightforward and practical reply too … always good to have another sparky chime in with a reality check … icon_wink.gif

Dave is right on the money that there are two issues that make it a safety hazard. Not only the wire to wire contact in a terminal not made for that which can cause problems, but more importantly the potential for overloading the service feeders.

You have the draw through the main breakers and then the draw from wherever those double lugged sub-feeders go, both on the service feeders almost certainly only sized to match the main breaker ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?