Drones update 2020

Instead of taking everything as an attack, consider what’s being said. There’s no attitude in that last statement. Your responses however seem to be full of attitude.

Have you considered a used drone - DJI phantom and mavic series, and similar offerings by Yuneec and Autel Robotics all have a quality product used for professional applications and well suited to inspectors. You can find them used under $1k, often with extra batteries and accessories you may want. You seem focused on the cost, so this is an option to get into a higher quality drone for less. With the rapid advancements in drones, there’s always someone upgrading who’s looking to sell their current one.

You could also consider an extension pole camera. I probably get more use out of that than I do the drone. It can also be used for things other than roofs. It’s easily deployed, extends to 30’, doesn’t require airspace authorization, and it takes very little time to learn to use it. It’s also much cheaper. It may be an option while you get some more flight time and save the extra money for a better drone. Then you’ll have both to use depending on what your needs require.

4 Likes

Emil;
Sure. I’m incorporating thermal inspections on the inside of the house, so why not do the roof??
I also, as stated, and going to be doing industrial and commercial inspections. Including towers where thermal is an absolute necessity to see hot spots, and even structural issues.
My starter drone will be cheaper, but hope to upgrade to the DJI Matrice 210 at some point. (Way to expensive to start.)
I also would love to donate my time to do search and rescue, as a way to give back to my community.

Collin

1 Like

I have both the Mavic and Phantom series. Both are amazing in wind that should knock them out of the sky. Both have quirks that you work around or get used to after trial & error.
For any tool or device, or even software, when it comes to my business, I lean towards best of breed products or manufacturer’s.

1 Like

Wow! So after your previous assumption that I’m intending to use a “toy drone” for inspection, now you are assuming that since I’m shopping before buying, it means that I need to “save” before purchasing a new Mavic/Phantom?!? Wow!

Instead of bragging about my financial capabilities I’ll just say that I’m avoiding assumptions and trying (as much as i can) to collect data before take not-urgent actions. Also I’m trying to avoid assumptions during the inspections. Bad habit, no matter the situation.

As I said twice - I’d rather have a spare drone, than more-reliable one. However I’m open to change my mind if there is a big gap between the reliability. That’s why I’m shopping for data. Do you have the experience with 2020 mid-level drones to compare?

Thank you.

1 Like

For how little I will be needing it, I did not want to spend a lot on a drone. I bought the Mavic Mini. I have not had a drone since the FC-40. It flys so much better than it did, easy to fly, stable, great pictures and video from what I have done with it so far.

3 Likes

This is a very good point. Thanks. I’m still in a good shape and I’m carrying 22 to 28’ ladders with me, so the drone is plan B.

I still climb the roofs. The ones that are too steep I use the pole camera. I thought about the drone but my fat ass needs the exercise carrying the ladders!

5 Likes

You have a serious perception problem to go along with your bad attitude.

Just so we’re clear… No assumptions - read what you wrote. You received the feedback because you stated you were considering a toy drone for professional application - your words, first post. Nobody said anything about anyone’s financial capabilities. For all I know, maybe you can afford a pair of $20k drones. Who cares.

3 Likes

Thank you again.

Same here! :grinning:

1 Like

This is me and I demand the best! Yep!
Just sayin’!

@jfudge @jdepiero

2 Likes

That is because you are a cheap MF…Huh?

You look so demanding! :grin:

I have always demanded a lot from those that decided to hang around me.
They can move on if not.
It is their chose…Not mine!
I expect excellence from everyone…Yep!

1 Like

Yep,I’m a cheap Yankee!

1 Like

You are next! Yep!
Dog

1 Like

Well, Joe, at least you’re a Yankee!!! :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Gonna have to come up with Yankee nicknames for ye guys! :grin:

I ordered my Typhoon-H before any had been released to the market, by the time I received it about a month and a half later, it was already obsolete. Regardless, I still have it and even after 4 crashes and replacement of a few blades, a gimbal, landing gear, and a battery, it still flies great and takes great pictures.

IMO it’s always best to buy quality.

Just FYI I started with a cheaper drone and an unusual wind came up and it is now in a 150+ foot tree. Been back several times ,(of course it had to be at least 50 minutes from the office) its never coming down. Get one that can handle the winds. Also I added the prop protectors which were great while I got used to it but that is what it is hung up by.

1 Like