I am considering this drone, any feedback?

So I am considering this drone as my 1st drone to augment my roof inspections. The price point is attractive but lack of obstacle avoidance (only down) is a concern. Any feedback would will appreciated.

3 Likes

Buy american

1 Like

Over my current budget but that thing is awesome!

1 Like

I’d be interested in hearing the pros and cons of drone features. Not reviews necessarily about the drone you bought, but features of different drones that you found helpful in roof inspection and looked for in drone.

2 Likes

That DJI Mini 2 drone should be just fine. I like the small compact size.

I’m still flying my Yuneec Typhoon-H which Ive had for 5 years now. It seems like a dinosaur compared to what’s out there today, but the thing is like a tank, can handle 40 mph winds and takes great shots, so I plan on flying it for as long as I can.

3 Likes

I use a 30’ extension Pole with a cheap Fujifilm camera that syncs with iPhone. Less than $200 total cost. No licensee, no notification to local authorities or faaa, never flown or been blown away. Gets the job done

6 Likes

That’s the one I use. The Fly More Combo is great since it has the extra batteries.

I was concerned about not having the automatic obstacle avoidance also, but this one is really easy to fly. I only use it when I can’t get on a roof, so it doesn’t really get used a lot. But when I do use it, it works really well for me.

The only issue I have is that I use an old (no longer activated) iphone for the video feed and the iphone battery drains really fast, most likely because its a really old phone with a really old battery. I haven’t tried using my current iphone with it because I don’t want to tie up my phone controlling the drone and possibly missing a call or crashing while answering a call.

I’m happy with my DJI Mini 2.

3 Likes

Good point. I have a few old phones, I’ll try one of those.

I have a Mini and it is pretty good. It is not the Mini 2 though.
Pros:

1. Lack of obstacle avoidance hasn’t been an issue. It flies straight and holds fairly steady, even in moderate to gusty winds.
  2. It takes amazing pics.
  3. Easy to learn.
  4. Good battery life (but get the fly-more package so you have 3 batteries).
  5. Nice hard-side cases available on eBay so you can store it fully set up and ready to fly.
  6. Low price point.

Cons:

1. Controller does not fit newer bigger phones very well.
  2. Always wants to be calibrated, or synced, or “updated” at inspection time.
  3. Emergency shut-down is both sticks to lower corners, which send it into a tizzy for a bit until the emergency shutdown takes effect.
1 Like

That’s very helpful. Thanks!

1 Like

Here is the case I bought.

3 Likes

Dont forget with any drone inspection you must have your FAA pilot license for any commercial type use.
unless you are doing the home inspections for free. and you do not use the photos I think it would be okay.

but if you were doing it for free and not putting the photos in your report you would not need the drone.

its a $500.00 fine the first time you are caught using the drone for anything other then for fun.

Ryan,
I got a Lykus case ( it is fantastic) for my new Air2S when they came out last month. Replaces my Air 2. I like the 1” image sensor for much better pictures and they added a lot of software tricks over the Air 2. Uses the same battery as the old Air 2 so I now have 6 batteries😉

I have nothing but praise for these DJI drones.

6 Likes

photos and video by DJI Air 2 S yesterday.

5 Likes

That is a sweet video and pics.

Do you have any close-up shots of defects? Such as storm damage, flashing issues etc?

Here is an example of a house with a roof that is hard to get on that a drone can be useful to get close up on the problem areas that are not visible from the ground or from the roof edge on a ladder. The first three images have been reduced in size for faster upload. the last one is full size (7.64 MB)

6 Likes

And here are examples on that same house of the water damage found in those trouble spots under the roof that the drone found.

8 Likes

Yes, nice one. Thanks!

Air2S

Pros:

1. Great sensors for up and down and forward and backwards.
    It flies straight and holds very steady, even in moderate to gusty winds.
  2. It takes amazing pics, even in lower light. 1" image sensor. 5k video.
  3. Easy to learn.
  4. Good battery life about 15-20 minutes the way I drive, depending on wind (but get the fly-more package so you have 3 batteries).
  5. Nice hard-side cases available on eBay so you can store it fully set up and ready to fly.
  6. Moderate price point for what it does.
  7. Return to home: It will come back and land right where it took off.

Cons:

1. Controller does not fit newer bigger phones very well. My new iPhone with Otter defender case does not fit, so I use a older phone with a standard case. Then transfer pictures.
  2. Does not go 12 Km away as advertised. More like 5k in our mountainous terrain. This is not relevant to home inspection. (I take mine hiking and stuff)
  3. No Zoom , but the pictures are huge so you can crop in to look at details.
  4. Louder than a mini drone.
  5. Lack of obstacle avoidance on the sides.
4 Likes

Bert you always have great pictures. I think I remember you using Spectora. What’s your work flow for drone images? Do you save or download them to your phones gallery and then pull them into the report from there?

2 Likes