End of joist supported by hangers against concrete foundation

End of joist are supported by joist hangers each one nailed with 2 nails at the top of the hanger into a rim joist then the remaining joist glued to concrete foundation. I’ve never seen this before. New construction. Anyone know if this is acceptable? See pictures.

The best I can tell from the picture is the hanger is nailed into the sill plate and the joist is nailed to the hanger. Looks normal.
I guess the liquid nails are just ‘icing on the cake’.

1 Like
1 Like

Awesome, appreciate the input. Thank you!

Ask to see the specs on that hanger. It does not look it is approved for that application.

From past experience Simpson requires all holes to be used. The open hole would make me verify the hanger number with its specs.

“3. Install all required fasteners per installation instructions
provided by Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc.: (a) use
proper fastener type; (b) use proper fastener quantity;
(c) fill all fastener holes; (d) do not overdrive or underdrive
nails, including when using powder nailers; and (e) ensure
screws are completely driven”

Hole

There is nothing wrong with the use of those top mount hangers or the way they are installed.
The hole you are pointing to is triangular.
Triangular Holes
Purpose: To increase a connector’s strength or to achieve max. strength.
Fill Requirements: When the Designer specifies max. nailing.
In residential building, very seldom a designer is involved to request additional nailing.

Simpson Strong-Tie JB hangers are 18 gauge top mount hangers that are a great cost effective solution. JBA hangers provide higher loads for 2x10, 2x12 and 2x14 members in 18 gauge steel. The new nail locations on the JBA enable effective use with nailers. The unique two level embossment provides added stiffness to the top flange.

3 Likes

Interesting design… any idea why they decided to drop the joists this way?

My guess would be for added ceiling height on the first floor.

I thought of that, however, dropping the joists like that would normally also drop the wall studs… resulting in same ceiling height above. I’m assuming this is new construction.

You got it, Marcel. :smile:

Looks like a crawl space and they wanted the foundation height above grade without the additional floor height which would keep the dwelling profile low and closer to grade without too many risers.
WAG

1 Like

This portion was on the highest point of grade, pretty sure they did it to keep the roof line lower reducing the profile of the home.

Why I said to see the specs.

In the greater Columbus (Ohio) area there are thousands of custom homes. I assume nothing.

In Ohio, ALL specs are required to be on site for inspection(s). That means available for a home inspector too.

Interesting idea, thanks!, but all the trouble for 1 riser… hmmm

How many stories is this house? were they close to the roof line height limit for the subdivision?

Is it time for popcorn?

1 Like

Get popping!

1 Like

Okey-Dokey, my friend. :smile:

Saving one riser was just the consequence of dropping the floor within the foundation, the main reason was to keep the low profile, that I mentioned, for reasons I did not know until the OP explained.

Lower the floor for no step access to house from garage and front door

1 Like