Expansion Tanks

The average pressure regulator has a diaphragm. If you run water backs through the valve, the diaphragm will open up.

1. We are not talking about code.

2. Expansion tees work for a closed loop systems. And expansion tanks do prevent backflow.

I do not open hot water heater drain valves, as there is too much risk in getting them to turn off after they are opened.

I was curious about that myself. It sounded like at least a couple inspectors check pressure at the WH. I do not open the valves either.

Perhaps another poll is in order.:wink:

I do not open water heater drain valves for a very good reason.

Hard water deposits buildup in a tank that has not been drained regularly and WILL cause the valve to not close again.

Do you have to ask why I know that? :wink:

Use and outside faucet, the end of a washing machine hose or another hose fitting like on a laundry tub faucet.

Then don’t call out their absence at all, as the only reason they exist is because of codes.

I do not call out their absence.
Anyway, my local code authority says expansion tees are acceptable.

A failing regulator will give you similar results. So I would call that an indication, but inconclusive to determining that an expansion-tank has failed.

The water heater drain-valve was where I checked for pressure for many years. After ruining four or five pressure gauges (at $60 a pop) I stopped doing it, unless there’s absolutely no other place to check.

Keith,

I believe the 2008 Plumbing code is when it was introduced. I have not come across such installations.
Personally, I do not believe that they are as necessary as TPRV.