Thermal Expansion Tanks

Originally Posted By: charper
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was speaking to a plumber today. He told me that all water heaters must now have a thermal expanion tank installed with a newly installed water heater. Is he correct?

![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Charles…

I think it may still be a regional thing, but every new install I see has one. As far as Georgia goes, I did find this on an AO Smith site.
Quote:
Code restrictions require the addition of a Thermal Expansion Tank at the time of water heater replacement. When cold water is heated, the water expands. This thermal expansion occurs in all systems that have tank-type water heaters. Thermal expansion can cause too high of water pressure and cause expensive problems from high water pressure flowing back into the main water supply to the house. The reason an expansion tank is required is to prevent the damage and eliminate these problems, by giving water a place to go when thermal expansion occurs. If you do not already have a thermal expansion tank or plan to obtain one elsewhere, you must choose this option in installation checkout pricing as it is required by Georgia code and we will not install a new water heater without it.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jsavino

The water mains have back flow preventers installed on them at the meter. And it could blow off the T/P valve. So the expansion tank will take up the expanded water. You might want to check on the size of the expansion tank to be sure its the correct size to the heater, temp. and pressure.

John Savino

HomeWorks Inspection Services, LLC

St. James, NY

Originally Posted By: Richard A Baxter

You should check with local codes.Here in nashville its not code but we do have to install quiet a few where needed.When i was in north fla i never even seen one city h20 was never above70 psi and no check vavles at city tap.there were alot of wells in that area so they are not needed.

Without plumbers the world would have more crap to deal with.