FEMA Training

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

CEC units.

I hope that as many members as possible will do this training, and thus help out in their comunities at times of natural disasters, this is a great opportunity to "put something back" and their training is FREE to all members. Here is a link to their training schedule.

http://www.parrinspections.com/train_sch.asp

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: lmartin

[b][i]

Hi Gerry , Pb Inspection has a good program to train FEMA inspectors , having classes through out the country . I have worked , done inspections for the past 2 years and gone through their training programs , have done Insurance inspections, on Homes and commercial buildings ,just last winter I completed a course on Boiler room operations an 8 week course for Hospitals , schools etc. very good information in doing inspections they had offered.

PB Inspections has 8500 inspectors that are registered with FEMA , that can be called up if a disaster happens , but ! its hard to get them all because of availability , so they always need to have many inspectors on call and ready to go.

So check out PB Inspection’s web sight ,very interesting

Lester Martin/Maine

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

I took PaRRs course up in Austin back in June. While most of it is good, a lot of it was training in how to use their Palm Pad computers.

BTW–TREC give us 8hrs of CE. icon_wink.gif

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Hi Will, the CEC thing is a tough call as the FEMA training is realy systems rather than inspection training, that is why we made the determination for 4 hrs CEC units, I’m aware that some other orgs have taken it for more credits but in doing so have gone way outside their own guidedlines in doing so, Including TREC.

As in all things this is a democratic (or if you’re Nick Republican) organization and if enough members want to take issue with this then we will look at it again, if need be there is nothing in principle to stop us from re-writting the Educational guidelines to encompass these types of training opportunities, as you will have seen I’m personally very pro this type of public service training.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: lmartin

Hello Gerry,

What I was trying to say mostly , PB Inspections does more than FEMA, they have many training programs for inspectors , more than just learning on computers,

Like I say I have been to area training classes that they have sponsered, information learned from theses classes where very helpful for me , doing Commercial , and home inspections.

Much of the info I learned would not be used for a FEMA survey, Here in Maine , towns are miles apart , so one has to have many projects to make a living, insurance inspections ,fill in when I dont have Home inspections to be done.

Just my thoughts , Lester Martin

Hi Les thanks for the info on PB inspections, I will get a look at what of all they have to offer, but in the mean-time here is the link to their FEMA site:

http://www.pbinspections.com/fema/

Thanks again

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: aaustin

PARR inspections is a single source federal contractor. That means that they have no competitors and gets all the funding directly from the government. They do not pay for travel to and from the affected area or housing there and pays they pay a very tiny fee for each house. I don’t recall the exact amount but is well under $50.00 per house. I consider it a charity deal except that Parr is probably making a nice profit off of the taxpayer. One might get 1 to 3 or 4 days work of the system per year but the fact that they use all temp help with little overhead makes it a sweet deal for someone but surely not most of the inspectors who have taken their mini training. Parr is the only one offering the training and you must go through them to get the work. That smells badly. It is best for retired inspectors who like to travel to hazardous locations. I would not waste 2 cents on the Parr workshops.

Be careful out there.

Al

Sorry Al, But unless you have taken their training you don’t know what you’re talking about. PARR does infact pay for transportation to and from the area that you are sent to. They pay $44 per inspection. And different rates for reinspects. They do not pay for your room and board. Thay and PB Inspections are the ONLY 2 contractors for FEMA at this time. Every 5 years FEMA contracts out the work to the lowest bidder. And at this time PARR and PB have the contracts.

I recieved an E-mail from PARR 3 days before Hurricane Isebell hit land asking me if I could be put on stand-by.

Most Inspectors are able to do 10 to 15 inspections a day after they have been at it a while.

FEMA is called in after a Presidentual declared disaster. It is up to FEMA which contractor gets the call.
As far as wasting your 2 cents on the workshop, don't worry, it's free from both contractors.

--
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: dbush

Al, after just getting back from a 2 week deployment working for PARR doing FEMA inspections for Hurricane Isabel, I will say that without a doubt you are wrong on all of your points. First, PARR is not the only contractor, they share with PB (Parsons) Inspections who got 1/2 of the disaster and PARR who got the other 1/2. Second, they do pay for your transportation and do a very nice job of it also. They will either pay up to 500 miles if you want to drive, or for a ticket if you want to fly. They pay $44. as Will said per inspection and expect a minimum of 8 inspections a day, but the average is 10-12 per day (These inspections are NOT anything like a normal home inspection.) The average inspection takes 30-45 minutes counting paperwork and everything. This is long hour work, dusk to dark, so you do earn your money, but it does pay well also. The sole purpose of the inspection is to get a level of damage assessment for how much the person qualifies for from FEMA. You do not get 3-4 days work, you get a requirement of 30 days unless the work is done sooner. The training is free and I am glad to hear that you are not going to go, because that will mean more work for me.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Dave,

Do they or do they not pay for your accommodations? Since I live down here in hurricane central, I would be interested! (hopefully not in my neighborhood ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) )

Thanks,
Blaine

Blaine, no they do not pay accomodations. Rental car, food, and hotel are on you, which if you get a room and rental car by the week, equals less than $100 a day. That means $350-450 a day net. If you are in the local area, then you have no expenses short of gas.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I just checked them out. Long way to the training class! Just curious, how many inspects. did you get done while you were there?

Blaine

Originally Posted By: jrice

Hi,

Can anyone tell me on average how much advance notice they give you before you need to go? I realize that it would depend on the disaster.

I mean a hurricane would give more of an advance warning than an earthquake. It sounds very interesting and I would like to participate my time to a worthy cause. Thanks for the help. icon_smile.gif

Jeff

PARR called me and asked me to be on standby 3 days before Isibel hit land. Hope this answers your question.

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Jeff, for Isabel, I got, like Will said about 2 - 3 days notice. For the Puerto Rico flooding, I got called on Sunday and they needed me there Monday evening. No standby time, that is the case with unexpected floodings, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc.

Dave Bush

MAB Member