Find myself in an unusual situation

So I was inspecting a garage door and I went to push up to test the pressure sensor. And the top of the garage door bent. The garage door had already been repaired before I even called up a door tech who said that it was more like a half broken branch that I just applied enough pressure for the rest to finally break. (Apparently to door was already on its way out). I don’t wanna pay for the already semi broken garage door. I’m thinking of paying to get I into a functional again. I just wanted to see what you guys would do in my situation? If you guys need more context just lemme know.

You Broke it You Bought it. If you didn’t see that it was damaged before you started its too late now. As long as everyone listens to the idiot posts on here about how they stress test everything and damn if it breaks during testing then its a service to the buyers crap. If you break something in my house your going to pay me to fix it - your a guest in my house.

5 Likes

Indeed. Consider this a learning moment. Pay to have it fixed.

Yes, the door was on its way out but try to explain that to the homeowner that mended it with the intention of replacing next month.

Read the recommended testing method, posted on this forum and stick with it.

2 Likes

It’s he said she said now. I would pay to make it right and move on. Less headache that way.

4 Likes

I still have to remind myself to take the time but look at the door and hardware prior to hitting the up/down button. If things don’t look right and there’s no homeowner to operate the door, indicate NOT inspected and why.

It will save you frustration and $$

4 Likes

Lift “handle” attachment looks suspect. Never seen it attached to the top of the door. Would have questioned proper installation prior to testing the door.

4 Likes

Something I do not do and this is one of the reasons why. Another reason, what is the acceptable force to activate the pressure sensor and how to do we measure and apply that force without causing damage?

As far as the seller, tell them exactly what happened and you would like to perform a repair. If it was not damaged prior to your operation, replace the panel. Lift arm connections are the weak point in these systems.

1 Like

The top of the door was not properly reinforced, improper top strut.

5 Likes

Agreed, it looks modified. I think it is the wrong lift. I have never see it attached to the top like that.

2 Likes

As other said take this as a learning lesson, you broke it you’re going to have to pay for it.

Also if you choose to do the automatic reverse test do it as the manufacturer’s state which is laying a 2x4 on the floor, not with your arm.

Personally I quit doing the auto reverse test a long time ago. I’s not required in our SOP. I know many other inspectors have also quit doing it.

5 Likes

And if the sensor is bad, crunch goes the door around the 2x4. I agree with you, stay away.

5 Likes

I think the failure stemmed from the improper installation of the door opener.

4 Likes

Steven by the looks of that pic you really overly rammed the pressure in there. It takes experience to get it just right.
Perhaps if your client plans on replacing it, you can try to get an estimate on the cost for chipping in of the damaged top panel replacement. Then your client may accept it as is & use the $$ to cover his costs after closing?
Good luck! :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I did what Scott does.

2 Likes

I made the mistake of testing a door without inspecting it first. The door was left open when I got there as the owners just left. Well, the door had been repaired recently and it buckled the top panel when I tested it. It was a learning experience. The door was a cheap plastic one. So not only did I replace the door, I upgraded to a metal insulated door with windows on the top row. (I know a door guy) Everybody was happy except my bank account!

3 Likes

InterNACHI SOP - “The inspector is not required to verify or certify the proper operation of any
pressure-activated auto-reverse or related safety
feature of a garage door” So why do we go there.

2 Likes

InterNACHI SOP - “The inspector is not required to verify or certify the proper operation of any
pressure-activated auto-reverse or related safety
feature of a garage door” So why do we go there.

Allen, the last time I quoted Nachi SOP in the Nachi forum I was told we don’t do that here. LOL.

I don’t see anything wrong with going the extra mile, especially if small children are to be in the house, but Steven exceeded the manufacture’s recommendations by pushing up on the door instead of placing a 2x4 under it which may have minimized the damage.

1 Like

The risk in this case is not worth the reward. I specifically tell my clients in my garage door report section that the pressure safety mechanism is not tested during the inspection. It is also in my agreement, my SOP, and in my limitations section in 3 different places.

2 Likes

as you can see there is cheap angle iron bolted to the top rail of the door. I’m sure it did that before and they just fixed it with that piece of cheap angle metal. You have photo proof the door was damaged prior to operating it. I would not fix it, As it was already broken , held together with a cheap band-aid fix.
Possibly pay them for 1/2 the replacement of the top panel of the door.

3 Likes

I really appreciate all your guys comments. It’s good to get some perspective on this.

1 Like