Fire seperation

http://archrecord.construction.com/resources/conteduc/archives/research/5_98_2.asp

[size=4]Fire Resistance
(Including Positive Pressure Testing)
Over the years, the manufacturers of wood doors have responded to consumer demand for fire safety by developing four classifications of fire-resistant wood doors. In turn, the model building codes have established a fire-door rating system for use in protecting door openings in fire-resistance-rated walls. As such, all fire-resistance-rated doors must meet the requirements of ASTM E152 and bear certifying labels of an independent testing agency approved by the building officials. Installation of fire-resistant wood doors must be in accordance with the National Fire Protection Association’s Publications NFPA 80 “Fire Doors and Windows” and NFPA 101 “Life Safety Code.” [/size]
Core construction for 45-, 60-, and 90-minute doors is a mineral substance with a chalklike consistency. The basic 20-minute wood fire door accounts for about 90 percent of the market today.

Thanks Brian, That was an interesting article as I needed MORE information than what was indicated in the code book. Thanks again, Andrew

I’ve been citing the above but found out some information which may be useful to everyone. The AHJ in NC wants an attic access to all attics with 5 feet of headroom and x number of square feet of attic space. They require attic openings, even in garages. They have an interpretation that framing the opening with 2x4, hardiplank, or other similar material is acceptable. The reasoning is that by the time a 2x4 burns away to allow the sheetrock to fall out, the house is already pretty crispy.

That makes sense to me. I’m only going to call out scuttle hole openings framed with molding in the future.

I find this a lot, most of the time the duct box is not even there.

This is new construction by the way. 2005-2006, make you wonder what the county inspectors are really doing.