Flatness of a condo slab

If you lift a carpet to check the slab you have now performed beyond the scope of a home inspection.
I am not a structural engineer so I would not be goin’ there.
Do you have an inspection agreement?

Coincidentally I just had a balcony yesterday with a tiled floor. It was obviously “wavy/uneven”.
Different that there was no carpet to lift, so out came the level, took pictures & recommended further evaluation by a licensed contractor.

Marc, I would think the slope was on purpose to shed water off the balcony by driven rains, at 1/4"per foot slope.
Just saying.

The attorney needs a copy of your Agreement and SOP.

I’m sorry I was not more clear.
This is an open balcony with a ceiling, yes. The 1st thing I thought when I stepped out on it was: hmmmmm - it’s supposed to slope away from the structure for drainage.
There are “highs & lows” like little mounds in 5-6 areas. Generally the water goes against the structure - the wrong way. The pic of the level is showing the slope towards the house. Uh oh!

1 Like

That was probably a poor tile job. A lot of that going on these days. :wink:

Along with a level, I use a golf ball to demonstrate the slope in an area of the floor. This was a strange one as the dip was only in front of the vanity.

To the OP, there are few if any level slabs in Florida and probably the same holds true for where you are. I usually ask what my clients plans are for flooring, kitchens, etc…and for flooring, if there is carpet, I let them know that there is a good chance they will either have to grind or use self-leveling compound in order to get the floors straight enough to put any floor on the slab.

We had to do it with our house down south as the installer thought the pad they install under laminate flooring would take up the space. It didn’t!

As for your liability, simply tell them that it was under carpet and and there was no way for anyone to tell how severe it was. Also, tell the flooring company to do what is necessary to get the floor flat…just don’t tell the association…

Here are two graphics showing a traveling straight edge, one graphic detects a bump and one shows a dip. The adjustable gauge (bolt) in the center is set by stretching a string line between the wheels and off setting the gauge by whatever tolerance you want 1/8", 1/4", etc.

THANKS Randy! :slight_smile:

internachi SOP says we don’t lift carpets. Given that carpets are textile and 1/2" or more in height, it would be impossible to determine whether a floor is level enough to lay hardwood.
Maybe suggest they use that wood patterned vinyl plank flooring instead :slight_smile: Save the trees.

Phillipe …

1. WE don’t have a building code on things like what you’re asking for SF homes and another for condo’s.

2. AS you’ve explained it THE buyers are in NEGLIGENT CONTRIBUTION or POTENTIAL INSURANCE fraud. Did they tell you in writing THEY were gonna remove the carpet AND install another type flooring AND tell you which brand, etc it was gonna be PRIOR to your inspection so you could check it. IF not … they got a problem AND your attorney is gonna break a 2x4 and shove it up their *****.

From the NAHB Performance Guidelines in Residential Construction

JUST get nutsy on them and their attorney